Another central Virginia log

Rustburger

Reaction score
First name
James
I was hoping someone might be able to help me identify this wood that I found in a tree service’s stash. Any ideas?

I can get closer end grain pics tomorrow.

8D443C0A-7E18-4F47-BED6-F3A16172EBC9.jpeg

8B0BEF12-5897-4825-ACB5-B1DF622F07DD.jpeg

C35064CF-90C0-4807-AE24-98A1A838408C.jpeg

780621C4-4999-4635-B157-23D730AE24AD.jpeg

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
closer won't help much unless "cleaned up and fine-sanded" is involved

Karl_TN

Reaction score
First name
Karl
Got any side grain pics? Looks like this tree has been dead for a while so it may be hard to get clean cuts. Although, parts of it look likes burl eyes so hopefully you find something useful in it.

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
First glance reminded me of a Juglans... like a Butternut, Japanese walnut or one of the hybrids...

Rustburger

Reaction score
First name
James
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Got any side grain pics? Looks like this tree has been dead for a while so it may be hard to get clean cuts. Although, parts of it look likes burl eyes so hopefully you find something useful in it.
When I cut slabs from it , I will send pics.

djg

Reaction score
First name
Dan
Just a GUESS by the color, Red Elm. Could be anything, though.

2feathers Creative Making

Reaction score
First name
Frank
I did a red elm tabletop out of a 40+ inch round that had that color now that you mention it. I don't have pictures or the tabletop so I don't think about it often. The fibrous cuts would be good for elm, it sure does have a tendency to string up a bit.
I reckon a fresh smooth cut would help on the end and side

rob3232

Reaction score
First name
Rob
Did you notice a smell…when you cut it? Red Elm usually isn’t as bad as Grey but Yuk…

djg

Reaction score
First name
Dan
Did you notice a smell…when you cut it? Red Elm usually isn’t as bad as Grey but Yuk…
When they're wet, that's how I tell them apart. Cat Piss - Grey Elm.

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
When they're wet, that's how I tell them apart. Cat Piss - Grey Elm.
Had to look 'Grey elm' up...not at all a common name for 'American elm' in these parts. Here it goes by 'White elm' (bark influenced name) and 'American', and sometimes called 'water elm' because of growing close to water sources. Virginia sparks a few elms in mind, Siberian, Winged, Slippery and American. Color wise, first 3 match better than the forth. However, seen Glabra (European) match that color well also.

So the important thing is, if this elm is the same wood posted Nov 27th to start this thread...Next, yard tree or woods tree?

djg

Reaction score
First name
Dan
Had to look 'Grey elm' up...not at all a common name for 'American elm' in these parts. Here it goes by 'White elm' (bark influenced name) and 'American', and sometimes called 'water elm' because of growing close to water sources. Virginia sparks a few elms in mind, Siberian, Winged, Slippery and American. Color wise, first 3 match better than the forth. However, seen Glabra (European) match that color well also.

So the important thing is, if this elm is the same wood posted Nov 27th to start this thread...Next, yard tree or woods tree?
Yes, I'm no good at official names. I've also heard it called Slippery Elm, but not sure that's the same as White Elm. As far as I know, there are only two common Elms around here - Red and White.