Another model build

rocky1

Creator of Shavings and Sawdust!
Reaction score
First name
Rocky
I had to search for the owl hooter build to find it. Steam engine builds I came up with all sorts of goodies that weren't Thomas' channel.

Kenbo

Self proclaimed expert of nothing
Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Ken
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well let's see what I did today. I assembled the trains cabin and added some details to it. I also cut and shaped the roof and the roof vents as well as cutting the interior section of the boiler. I turned a couple of barrels for the rear of the train as well as cutting the train's wheel links. There wasn't much more to report other than that but it was another 7 hours in the shop which is just fine by me. We are at 30 hours so far on this build and it is going well thus far. Everything may fall apart when I start making the wheels. LOL.

IMG_8613.JPG IMG_8614.JPG IMG_8615.JPG IMG_8616.JPG IMG_8617.JPG IMG_8618.JPG IMG_8619.JPG IMG_8620.JPG IMG_8621.JPG IMG_8622.JPG

Kenbo

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Ken
Another 7 hours in the shop and another bunch of photos. I hope you enjoy them.

IMG_8625.JPG IMG_8626.JPG IMG_8627.JPG IMG_8628.JPG IMG_8629.JPG IMG_8630.JPG

Kenbo

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Ken
Another great day in the shop working on the wheels. Finally got them done after 7 hours. Tedious, tedious parts. Fun day.

IMG_8631.JPG IMG_8632.JPG IMG_8633.JPG IMG_8634.JPG IMG_8635.JPG IMG_8636.JPG IMG_8637.JPG IMG_8638.JPG IMG_8639.JPG IMG_8640.JPG

Sprung

Amateur Sawdust Maker
Reaction score
First name
Matt
This is so cool that you are doing all the pictures as you go. Really coming along great.

Ken's builds and build threads are legendary. Look back through this sub-forum and you'll find some more build threads by Ken. Well worth the time to look through them all.

Kenbo

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Ken
While working on the train today, I noticed several holes (6 of them) that I neglected to drill. The problem was that they were on the boiler of the train. I ended up having to construct a silly little jig in order to hold the boiler at 45 degrees and keep the centre of the boiler square to the drill press table while drilling the forgotten holes. If it weren't for this thread, y'all wouldn't even know that I screw it up. LOL. I worked on the cattle pusher as well as the hand rails around the boiler and front end of the trail. There's something satisfying about taking your time to build little jigs in order to drill the 3/32" holes, centred on a 3/16" diameter dowels and then having everything coming together at once, while you blast your favourite music in the shop. I also didn't like the way the front wheels sat, so I broke them away from the train and sanded 1/32" off of the wheel carriage to get them to sit better. I'm happy with them now. Still a ton more to work on for this build, but that was another 7 hours.

IMG_8643.JPG IMG_8644.JPG IMG_8645.JPG IMG_8646.JPG IMG_8647.JPG IMG_8648.JPG IMG_8649.JPG IMG_8650.JPG IMG_8651.JPG IMG_8652.JPG

Bob Ireland

Reaction score
First name
Bob
I think after you get past the "oh s#*!" moment, figuring out how to overcome that moment can be very satisfying. And as you said, if you didn't mention it, we probably wouldn't have even noticed. Still looks wonderful.

Kenbo

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Ken
I think after you get past the "oh s#*!" moment, figuring out how to overcome that moment can be very satisfying. And as you said, if you didn't mention it, we probably wouldn't have even noticed. Still looks wonderful.

There's something satisfying about figuring out how to make these things and something even more satisfying about figuring out how to overcome your mistakes. I couldn't agree with you more. Sometimes, it just takes a little ingenuity and a little imagination.

Kenbo

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Ken
I only got one day in the shop this weekend but is was a good, 8 hour day working on the coal car. I would have liked to get more of it done, but the pieces, although they look simple, were very puzzling to make without losing a finger. I like challenges like those. I good mixture of table saw, scroll saw, hand sanding, scrapers and chisels made for an awesome fun day. I'm no psychic, but I'm thinking that there might be some more lathe turned wheels in my next shop visit.

IMG_8658.JPG IMG_8659.JPG IMG_8660.JPG IMG_8661.JPG IMG_8662.JPG IMG_8663.JPG IMG_8664.JPG IMG_8665.JPG IMG_8666.JPG

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
Do you have access to real coal?