Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Picked it up today, new windshield is in. Truck surprisingly rides really nice for a 250. Gotta be the most comfortable truck seats I've ever sat in. It needs a few things, I'll fix her up and make it mine. Nice to have a full size truck again. I'll have the tacoma till the end of the month. I'll miss the tacoma but I'm very happy with this truck.

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Picked up the truck, rides so nice, everything works. At the dealer now buying a new key and getting it programed. The seats in this truck are so comfortable and it's just a work truck!
Stock radio is better than the tacoma's. Lol. Gotta stick a cd in it to see if it works.
Is it the single CD player or the six disc player? Mine is a single disc player after market with blue tooth.

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
F250 got its first accessories today. A thick rubber bed mat, and a tonneau cover.
Bed mat is much easier on my knees and keeps stuff from sliding around. Next is the box with the tonneau.
20240406_122542.jpg
Looks good in my opinion.
20240406_131542.jpg
Keeps things out of sight. Keeps snow and rain out.
20240406_131553.jpg
I like it.
20240406_131627.jpg
I've had tonneau covers on my last 3 trucks and now on this one. I prefer them over a cap. Better visibility and I can stand up when in the bed and still haul tall items if need be.

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
I've had one of those thick rubber mats in the bed of my little 1998 Toyota from day one (well, maybe day 2) but it's really helped protect the bed. The wheel wells have a couple dings and dents but the bed looks pretty good. I have to pull it out every once in awhile and vacuum underneath because fine dust does accumulate under it and if any water does get under there it turns to mud.

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Greg,

Does the rubber matt come with a tail-gate cover or is that a separate order item? See you have the plastic one. Got to crawl past that to get to the bed and that plastic, well my knees would feel it more than wanted.

A Ford nut up the road was telling me that some of the new Ford corner step bumpers will fit on some of the older trucks and still have active back-up sensors and towing plugs in it protected up by the license plate. I've been thinking about it. Found a used bumper for $1,100, haven't thought much about it since.

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
Greg,

Does the rubber matt come with a tail-gate cover or is that a separate order item? See you have the plastic one. Got to crawl past that to get to the bed and that plastic, well my knees would feel it more than wanted.

A Ford nut up the road was telling me that some of the new Ford corner step bumpers will fit on some of the older trucks and still have active back-up sensors and towing plugs in it protected up by the license plate. I've been thinking about it. Found a used bumper for $1,100, haven't thought much about it since.
No it didn't come with a tailgate pad. But that's ok as it would have to be screwed on. and it was only about $100. There is just enough bumper sticking out for me to get my foot on, I do wish the bumper had a lower step height but it is what it is, it's a heeavy duty truck! It's actually easier to get up and into than my tacoma.
I'm taking it in tomorrow for front wheel bearing and hub assemblies, a preventive measure. Not a job I want to do on my knees in the driveway. I have a great ring and pinion shop near .e that is going to do it, Timken bearings! I've dealt with them in the past, honest, reasonable, and quality work, I don't mind paying for that.

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
Greg,

You called it Mark. I have that plastic tailgate protector too and kneeling on that thing gets my attention every time. I now remember to bring an old towel which I fold and put under my knee when I climb into the back.

It looks like Greg has a similar protector attached up on the cab end too, which would be nice. I've put a few dings and scratches on that end of the bed for sure.

Last edited:

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
It looks like Greg has a similar protector attached up on the cab end too, which would be nice. I've put a few dings and scratches on that end of the bed for sure.
Nope, just the spray in bed liner.

Schroedc

Still making sawdust, Maybe make some money....
Reaction score
First name
Colin
Nice. I get the whole smart money thing. My old subaru wagon was getting up there but still a decent runner. I had to make the decision between putting a couple grand in it or getting something newer. Finally decided to go newer. Sold the subaru for ok money amd found this. Low miles and super low idle hours....

20240329_164604.jpg

20240329_164619.jpg

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
Ha, that's reminds me of when I was in high school in Panama. The CZ Police got their first pursuit car just about the same year they also started a ride along program for high school seniors. We knew almost all the officers, many weren't much older than we were and were pretty cool about the mischief high school kids could get into. So when we'd get a ride along with the right guys, we'd take the pursuit car out to the old runway and see what it would do.

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
The f250 is in the shop getting new front hub and bearing assemblies. They usually go out about 125k so I'm just getting them done, I call it maintenance.

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
The f250 is in the shop getting new front hub and bearing assemblies. They usually go out about 125k so I'm just getting them done, I call it maintenance.
Now the ones in the 1980's, ya, I never changed a set. As for the 4x4 actuators, mine usually last 10-15K miles. I miss the Warn lockers I had on the older model trucks.

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
Now the ones in the 1980's, ya, I never changed a set. As for the 4x4 actuators, mine usually last 10-15K miles. I miss the Warn lockers I had on the older model trucks.
This one is manual hub lock. it has a rear diff lock too.

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
I got a copy of the original window sticker. Nice to know the details like axle ratios etc.
20240410_123009.png

Last edited:

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
Next up on the super duty is brakes. New pads and rotors all the way around. More maintenance. Rotors way about 40lbs each! $800 in parts! 3/4 ton truck parts aren't cheap. But with as little as I drive they should last a looong time.
20240419_181755.jpg
Well since I may end up doing the brakes myself in the driveway I figured I better step up my game and get a new jack and jackstands for a 6,000lb truck.
Jack is pneumatic or regular hydraulic. I figured it would take up less space than a floor jack when I'm done with it. And it was a heck of a lot cheaper. $89 with inside track deal at harbor frieght, $60 off regular price.
20240425_163140.jpg
Pneumatic means no pumping. I have a large 80 gallon 2 stage compressor in the garage so air isn't a problem.
20240425_163809.jpg
It even comes with a rebuild kit.
20240425_163340.jpg
I also purchased better 6 ton jackstands for the front of the truck. I've got some 3 ton stands for the rear.
20240425_164104.jpg
These are really nice and sturdy.
20240425_171545.jpg
A friend is supposed to help me with the brakes, heavy lifting, but he's supper busy and I may have to just do them myself. I know how, just still nursing a sore back. But I may have to do them, so now I'm ready.

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
Well I couldn't get my friend to commit to a date and the clock is ticking because I'll have to turn the tacoma in soon. So I just did the brakes myself.
Drivers side front.
20240426_193330.jpg
Pad was pretty thin. But the rotors weren't all grooved up.
20240426_193339.jpg
Compressing the caliper pistons back in. They are 2 piston calipers.
20240427_112613.jpg
Hung the caliper out of the way with a bungie.
20240427_112732.jpg
New pad clips on the carrier bracket.
20240427_113909.jpg
Slide pins are cleaned and regreased.
20240427_114107.jpg
Catefull not to get grease on the ends.
20240427_114529.jpg
A little brake grease on the pads.
20240427_115051.jpg
Brake cleaned the new rotor.
20240427_115106.jpg
Man that looks good, all new brakes on new hubs.
20240427_120202.jpg