any hydraulic pump/motor guru's out there?

jimmyjames

Reaction score
First name
james
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Cross Sawmill said:
Cross Sawmill said:
aerocustomsexotics said:
jimmyjames said:
Yep, I have 2 different style valves, I have 3 valves open center with motor spools and also the fitting for power beyond to go ton the 2nd set of valves that are open center with cylinder spools for the cylinders. I still have to get a bunch of fittings etc and I will add a main bypass on the main supply line from the pump, its a bypass valve correct that has a line that goes back to the tank?

When I said control valve should have preset or adjustable relief valve that was a "recommendation" of the type of valve to use-assuming it would need to be purchased new, always better if you have to buy a valve get one with built in relief protection. Motor spool was what I meant when said open center with float feature for motor control. But beings there was not a specific question I was just making some recommendations on things to be mindful of during the setup- design of the system.

Bill
Bill,
I believe that a hydraulic motor for a band-saw sawmill would need to generate at least 30 horsepower and the bandwheel would need to spin 500 to 1,000 rpm (according to diameter) . That is a "Helluva" hydraulic system!
??????????Steve
Horsepower IN?? Gallons per Minute?????? Pressure???????? Line Length ??? Motor Speed??????? IF!!! something like this is going to work, ALL this AND other questions have to be addressed.

I'm going direct drive off of the engine, I'm going from the engine to a jackshaft which has the hydraulic pump on one end of the shaft and a clutch on the other, in the middle is the pulley for the belts from the engine and then belt from the clutch to the drive wheel pulley on the band wheel shaft.

I decided against using hydraulics to run the band since it would take 100+HP to get a hydraulic motor to output 30+HP, the pump and motor would have been too big and too expensive and not worth it

Cross Sawmill

Reaction score
First name
Steve
aerocustomsexotics said:
I did not go do any calculations on what pump or motor he needs as he has aleready spoken to White's tech rep on what size motor he would need based on the pump he plans to run. It would be fairly easy to calculate once there is a know requirement of torque & desired rpm. It may not be the mopst cost effective way to run a mill but it is feasible especially if he can procure the materials at less than retail cost & do all the plumbing himself. For what it is I would just go with gas or diesel powered engine for bandmill portion & maybe consider using hydraulic system just for lift cylinders & headstock travel.

Bill,
It is not the "FALL" that Hurts it is the "Sudden Stop".

jimmyjames

Reaction score
First name
james
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cross Sawmill

Reaction score
First name
Steve
jimmyjames said:
Cross Sawmill said:
Cross Sawmill said:
aerocustomsexotics said:
jimmyjames said:
Yep, I have 2 different style valves, I have 3 valves open center with motor spools and also the fitting for power beyond to go ton the 2nd set of valves that are open center with cylinder spools for the cylinders. I still have to get a bunch of fittings etc and I will add a main bypass on the main supply line from the pump, its a bypass valve correct that has a line that goes back to the tank?

When I said control valve should have preset or adjustable relief valve that was a "recommendation" of the type of valve to use-assuming it would need to be purchased new, always better if you have to buy a valve get one with built in relief protection. Motor spool was what I meant when said open center with float feature for motor control. But beings there was not a specific question I was just making some recommendations on things to be mindful of during the setup- design of the system.

Bill
Bill,
I believe that a hydraulic motor for a band-saw sawmill would need to generate at least 30 horsepower and the bandwheel would need to spin 500 to 1,000 rpm (according to diameter) . That is a "Helluva" hydraulic system!
??????????Steve
Horsepower IN?? Gallons per Minute?????? Pressure???????? Line Length ??? Motor Speed??????? IF!!! something like this is going to work, ALL this AND other questions have to be addressed.

I'm going direct drive off of the engine, I'm going from the engine to a jackshaft which has the hydraulic pump on one end of the shaft and a clutch on the other, in the middle is the pulley for the belts from the engine and then belt from the clutch to the drive wheel pulley on the band wheel shaft.

I decided against using hydraulics to run the band since it would take 100+HP to get a hydraulic motor to output 30+HP, the pump and motor would have been too big and too expensive and not worth it
Jimmy and Bill, One thing that is around that would pull a big band saw is a skid steer with a "High Flow" system.