Arkansas Toothpick Skinner

Jack "Pappy" Lewis

Reaction score
First name
Jack
As a newbie to this, all I can say is actually a question.....how does one shut his mouth when it is locked in "AWE" position? I see nothing wrong with the knife, the grind or the way it appears to be held in the hand for usage. The handles are sweet, being stbld. I am sure they will last a while .... one thing the AEB-L versus the M390 is this because of the Stainless content in the 390 for the next one?

NYWoodturner

Wood Spinner
Reaction score
First name
Scott
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Pappy - The AEB-L takes a fine edge but doesn't hold to as well as I would like. You can recover it quickly with a steel. AEB-L is what most of your razors are made from. M390 is a lot tougher and will hold a really sharp edge longer.

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
Man Scott, that is a good looking knife. Nice job.

robert flynt

Reaction score
First name
Robert
Beautiful! Although not my cup of tea for skinning deer. If gutting I like small knives and for skinning I like the blade to have a sweep in it. Just goes to show everyone like different things!
I rarely gut but for skinning my preference is a drop point or bull nose blade no longer than 4". I also use a small caper for the details.

Last edited:

Brain M

Reaction score
First name
Brian
love that handle! looks very practical and comfortable! really nice knife you got there. I have to find some people looking for knives to be made for them!

Good Wood Sawmill

Reaction score
First name
Chad
They is one sexy piece. I can't imagine your client not being pleased.
Small world...I live in Pontotoc, MS.

Last edited:

NYWoodturner

Wood Spinner
Reaction score
First name
Scott
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Update to this thread:
I remade the final version once I got feedback on the first. He requested some length off the blade, and micarta handles, as well as a guard.
10.25 OAL. Elmax steel with stainless steel guard. Canvas micarta handle. I shipped it to him for the last 30ndays of deer season without a sheath. He shipped it back this month so I could make the sheath.

IMG_4485.JPG IMG_4487.JPG IMG_4482.JPG

Wildthings

ASTROS '23 ALCS CHAMPIONS runnerup
Reaction score
First name
Barry
I like the profile of the updated one better but no way do I like these scales better than the first - but that what makes the world go round

Strider

Reaction score
First name
Loris
Never heard of the wood, but it is downright beautiful as well as the knife. Good job!

vegas urban lumber

Reaction score
First name
trev
i see the wood on the original one looks much like the spalted pepper. hopefully you will find as good of results with the pepper, because that wood on the first knife in this thread is killer

Jack "Pappy" Lewis

Reaction score
First name
Jack
the second updated knife is probably my overall pick between the two. this is one tough looking knife, you could hammer nails with it....I do like the added guard, a little more safety never hurts. The micarta handle looks mean....but the sleek contour makes it look comfortable too....another sweet stick ....

TimR

Sawdust Engineer
Reaction score
First name
Tim
Wow, the first version seemed like it couldn't have got better...but as Pappy said, there's a 'meanness' about the second version with that micarta handle and purposeful look. Sweet knife man...very nice. :good2:

DKMD

Sawbones
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
David
I like them both, but the second one really holds my attention. I don't know all the names for the different knife parts, but the metal thingies between the blade and handle(bolsters?) make the whole thing look more appealing to my eye.

Sweet knives!