Ash bowl blanks wanted

JerseyHighlander

Reaction score
First name
Kyle
Good point.

Question, Emerald Ash Borer came through and hammered our trees the last 2 years heavy. I noticed that those that seem to be hanging on are the auburn, red leaf and purple fall colored White ash. Have you noticed anything.?. None of our Green ash have survived. I have not been in the swamps, so not sure about our Black ash.
Have to admit, I don't know that I've ever laid eyes on anything but White & Black Ash, not when I knew what I was looking at anyway. Up here in the highlands, to my limited knowledge, there was nothing but White Ash, leaves turned bright yellow in early fall, and it has been obliterated the past few years. Haven't been out in the woods down in the bottomlands in some time so, don't know how the Black/swamp ash is fairing.

Ash never tickled my fancy enough to dedicate too much time in discerning the different varieties to any large degree but your question made me look and apparently the largest Ash tree in the nation was/is here in Morris county, down in the lowlands of Madison. It was treated to protect it, don't know if it's still kicking. https://www.northjersey.com/story/n...n-americas-largest-ash-tree-saved/1258571001/

Last edited:

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Have to admit, I don't know that I've ever laid eyes on anything but White & Black Ash, not when I knew what I was looking at anyway. Up here in the highlands, to my limited knowledge, there was nothing but White Ash, leaves turned bright yellow in early fall, and it has been obliterated the past few years. Haven't been out in the woods down in the bottomlands in some time so, don't know how the Black/swamp ash is fairing.

Ash never tickled my fancy enough to dedicate too much time in discerning the different varieties to any large degree but your question made me look and apparently the largest Ash tree in the nation was/is here in Morris county, down in the lowlands of Madison. It was treated to protect it, don't know if it's still kicking. https://www.northjersey.com/story/n...n-americas-largest-ash-tree-saved/1258571001/
That is a big tree. The 115' tall is not uncommon. I've cruised many in the 120-150' height range for white ash. The 21'-3" circumference is big, but said taken at its widest point. That is not well defined. The circumference is supposed to be taken at 4'-6" from the ground, DBH, diameter at breast height. Still, 81 inches in diameter is big, I've measured several in the 60 & 70 inch class, but no ash in the 80 inch class. Thanks for posting.