back in my own shop

duncsuss

Trying to turn a little better each day
Reaction score
First name
Duncan
The last few weeks I've not been able to do any work in my own shop -- I was at the club booth at the Topsfield Fair a couple of weekends, then threw out my back and had to take it easy for a while.

Yesterday I decided to do a quick project -- a Pentel mechanical pencil refurb, this in curly maple with CA finish. They are perfect for practicing use of the skew chisel :cool:

IMAG0608.jpg

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
Very nice Duncan! I've carried a Pentel for years, never have seen one redone like that. Tony

Sprung

Amateur Sawdust Maker
Reaction score
First name
Matt
Very nice, Duncan! Pentels are my favorite mechanical pencil and this is something I've wanted to try. Do you have the special step drill bit for making these?

duncsuss

Reaction score
First name
Duncan
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Very nice, Duncan! Pentels are my favorite mechanical pencil and this is something I've wanted to try. Do you have the special step drill bit for making these?
Yes. I drill out to just short of the internal step using a regular (but longer) drill bit, then use a step drill for the last ~3/4". There's a guy on IAP who grinds the drill bits and makes a custom mandrel, I can't remember his name but I probably still have the private message in my inbox there. Shoot me a PM on IAP as a reminder and I'll dig it out for you.

duncsuss

Reaction score
First name
Duncan
I've been turning two years now and have never used my skew chisel. I just don't understand it.
Another good resource for starting with the skew ... Alan Batty's video:

Schroedc

Still making sawdust, Maybe make some money....
Reaction score
First name
Colin
I learned my skew by chucking up some spindle blanks and just concentrating on turning them round and putting a taper or beads on them. Over and Over and Over...

rocky1

Creator of Shavings and Sawdust!
Reaction score
First name
Rocky
I learned my skew by chucking up some spindle blanks and just concentrating on turning them round and putting a taper or beads on them. Over and Over and Over...

I started with fir, extremely soft, it will teach you in a hurry if you have the wrong angle! Grew tired of that in a hurry as a beginner and moved to my firewood pile. Turned a pretty good pile of red oak round before I was done. And, by the time I was done playing with that, I pretty much had skew work down.

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
Duncan, can you do a build topic on this next time you make one?

And that looks great, but I'm still partial to mine....
Heh heh heh.

duncsuss

Reaction score
First name
Duncan
I can't promise that, but I can offer you videos of the time I demonstrated it to the club --