I’m selling this first production model Fretless bass guitar from the Italian company Manne.
I created 2 accessories to include with it. When I bought it it was missing a cover for the truss rods at the headstock.
I made one using Ebony (similar to the fretboard ) and created a logo for it on the laser with an inlay of Holly and Redheart.
Recently I played another fretless bass that had a ramp between the pickups and the fretboard that are supposed to help one play lighter without digging in and help with speed. I liked it so I decided to make one for this bass that could just be attached using double stick tape. Quilted Maple seemed appropriate even though the top wood is Italian Poplar. I created a quasi-matching radius of the fretboard on it and then needed to match or at least get close to the bass color. The goal was to dye it using Transtint in an orange to black fade sunburst effect. Started out using just red and black, but realized I needed some orange in the mix.
To finish it I was going to just wax and buff with the lathe, but I saw a video on YouTube about CA finish on a flat surface and figured it be more durable.
Success of that was marginal as unlike with finishing a pen in CA on a fast spinning lathe, it’s harder to control the layers applied maintaining a smooth surface. I ended up needing to wet sand with micro mesh twice to get almost all the divets out. Big mistake though was not getting enough CA on the sides and flat surface underneath and some water from sanding soaked in causing the piece to curl up a bit. I was able to clap it for a couple days back to flat. I thought I did pretty good with the color match seeing that it was my first serious application with the dye.
Sorry for the long-windedness.
JayT
.
I created 2 accessories to include with it. When I bought it it was missing a cover for the truss rods at the headstock.
I made one using Ebony (similar to the fretboard ) and created a logo for it on the laser with an inlay of Holly and Redheart.
Recently I played another fretless bass that had a ramp between the pickups and the fretboard that are supposed to help one play lighter without digging in and help with speed. I liked it so I decided to make one for this bass that could just be attached using double stick tape. Quilted Maple seemed appropriate even though the top wood is Italian Poplar. I created a quasi-matching radius of the fretboard on it and then needed to match or at least get close to the bass color. The goal was to dye it using Transtint in an orange to black fade sunburst effect. Started out using just red and black, but realized I needed some orange in the mix.
To finish it I was going to just wax and buff with the lathe, but I saw a video on YouTube about CA finish on a flat surface and figured it be more durable.
Success of that was marginal as unlike with finishing a pen in CA on a fast spinning lathe, it’s harder to control the layers applied maintaining a smooth surface. I ended up needing to wet sand with micro mesh twice to get almost all the divets out. Big mistake though was not getting enough CA on the sides and flat surface underneath and some water from sanding soaked in causing the piece to curl up a bit. I was able to clap it for a couple days back to flat. I thought I did pretty good with the color match seeing that it was my first serious application with the dye.
Sorry for the long-windedness.
JayT
.
Last edited: