Black Ash validation

SA-Motors

Member
Full Member
Messages
726
Reaction score
821
Location
Raleigh, NC
First name
Steven
I was told when I got this that it was Black Ash. Can anyone offer any opinion otherwise? (I admit the photos are lousy - as I just used by phone instead of getting out the microscope and I did not sand that well).

IMG_0886.webp IMG_0887.webp IMG_0888.webp IMG_0889.webp IMG_0891.webp IMG_0892.webp IMG_0893.webp IMG_0895.webp IMG_0896.webp
 
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #7
@Mr. Peet Thanks for weighing in. Glad the bark looks correct. Do the different ashes typically have different barks? e.g. Black Ash looks different from White Ash?

I'll take some weights today and maybe some additional pictures of the grain.
 
@Mr. Peet Thanks for weighing in. Glad the bark looks correct. Do the different ashes typically have different barks? e.g. Black Ash looks different from White Ash?

I'll take some weights today and maybe some additional pictures of the grain.
White and black. Have much different smells
 
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #9
@Mike1950 i’ll try to smell the difference! I’ll cut a piece of each today to try that. Should I be able to smell the difference even with wood that is bone dry? Thanks.
 
@Mike1950 i’ll try to smell the difference! I’ll cut a piece of each today to try that. Should I be able to smell the difference even with wood that is bone dry? Thanks.
my nose is not all that good but dry white ash has sweet smell to me- black- sorta creesote smell. make a small fresh cut- it will have odor
 
@Mr. Peet Thanks for weighing in. Glad the bark looks correct. Do the different ashes typically have different barks? e.g. Black Ash looks different from White Ash?

I'll take some weights today and maybe some additional pictures of the grain.
Black typically has a spongy, blocky bark at the base to a flacky strips to the smooth upper back. Most other ash trees have fissured bark to the base that is more firm and ridgid. Green ash is also more common to wetlands and could be mistaken for Black.
 
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #13
Thank you @Mr. Peet for the explanation.

@Mike1950 I cut a piece of each and they do smell different. I would say the black ash stinks. I would characterize it as not pleasant at all.🙂

This particular piece has very small growth rings. I counted 79 rings and that’s not even getting to the pith, so this came from a tree that was likely 90+ years old. IMG_0922.webp .
 
Back
Top