Brazilian Wood ...More Than 200 Species

Asssiss

Member
Full Member
Messages
446
Reaction score
1,383
Location
Brazil
First name
Emerson
Hello folks...I would comment about a simple way which Brazilian amatuer craftsman sell this pieces on streets or car signal stops.

I don't know how they find these wood (if are legal as very old pieces still nearby from barns and homes beams).

My pieces I purchased 20 years ago from an old man who lives near my uncle home (both passed away).

They are made by Brazilian Rosewwod ,Brazilian Tulip Wood,Brazilian Iron Wood and Brazilian Vinhático (Plathymenia foliolosa).

I Don't know how to call the pieces.


See the pictures below:

Here the Brazilian Book about our woods (1989)
IMG-20250716-WA0026.jpg
Vinhático wood
IMG-20250716-WA0028.jpeg
Brazilian Rosewood
IMG-20250716-WA0032.jpeg

IMG-20250716-WA0034.jpeg

IMG-20250716-WA0038.jpeg
Brazilian Iron wood
IMG-20250716-WA0044.jpeg
Brazilian Rosewood
IMG-20250716-WA0046.jpeg
Brazilian Tulip wood
IMG-20250716-WA0057.jpeg

IMG-20250716-WA0055.jpeg
Brazilian Iron wood...I don't like the clear part (sapwood)
IMG-20250716-WA0062.jpeg
Thanks for attention
 
Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #4
Very cool. Thank you for showing us. It would be fun to browse through the book!
That book is extremely rare I had one brand new during 25 years...I donate mine for one Woodworking School in São Paulo (our biggest city) because many woodworkers today don't know about all that wood and my father,uncles and grandfather was all woodworkers from 60 to 90's when no rules about cut wood until finish...this generation is different...I know more tha 50% of that woods in hands.

Now I found another book at web bookstore at 85% (mine was 99%) condition and just purchased it...Amazon is selling one second owner for $500 ...mine was $50 (this I just bought)

When arrive I"ll show some pages here...they are all black and white pages.
The book was made by this Institute below:



Thanks for attention
 
Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #5
If you want to research about Brazilian Wood in Portuguese you can write:
Wood= madeira
Catalog=catálogo
Construction= construção civil
Furniture=móveis
Hardwood= madeira dura ou densa
Softwood= madeira macia or baixa (low) densidade
Scientific name will be at all...so easy to find in other languages
 
Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #6
Hello folks....my book just arrived.It is in good conditions but the hard cover could be better.
As I do at all my books to improve cover resistance I add a transparent plastic glued cover...we call here as Contact Plastic.

So the book can last few years more against bad use (is not my case).But accidents can occur.
I add the pictures of all wood at this book by scientific name (and Brazilian name.as well).

In fact at that time it was 200 wood (at 400 pages) ...I just corrected the title...they found more wood but I don't know how many more.

See the pictures below:
The plastic at hard cover
IMG-20250803-WA0026.jpeg
Easy to do
IMG-20250803-WA0022.jpeg

IMG-20250803-WA0018.jpeg

IMG-20250803-WA0013.jpeg
Popular names
IMG-20250803-WA0028.jpeg

IMG-20250803-WA0030.jpeg
Scientific name
IMG-20250803-WA0033.jpeg

IMG-20250803-WA0040.jpeg

IMG-20250803-WA0037.jpeg

IMG-20250803-WA0035.jpeg
Thanks for attention
 
Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #7
Hello ...I am back.I just found two pieces like this at garbage.
This wood name is Goiabão:
At Amazon is:Pouteria pachycarpa
At Atlantic Forest is:Eugenia leitonii
Is a yellow hardwood.

The grain is nice...I don't like yellow woods.
IMG-20260716-WA0079.webp End grain IMG-20260716-WA0081.webp Here with fiish IMG-20260716-WA0083.webp IMG-20260716-WA0085.webp IMG-20260716-WA0089.webp
 
Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #9
Yesterday my mother told me about three pieces of wood at her house she wants to discard. Told me if I want and I was there to check.
First impression they are Maçaranduba (or Parajú).This wood is like sparrows or pigeons (you can find a lot any place).Here in Brazil.
The short piece capture my eyes because light color.
To my surprise was a piece of Pau Brasil (Orange board).I don't know how this piece was at her house (my father proprably) but I know it was there for at least 35 years.

IMG-20260821-WA0084.webp IMG-20260821-WA0087.webp Most common use in Brazil for Maçaranduba IMG-20260822-WA0023.webp IMG-20260822-WA0021.webp IMG-20260821-WA0046.webp Oau Brasil IMG-20260821-WA0044.webp IMG-20260821-WA0057.webp IMG-20260821-WA0060.webp IMG-20260821-WA0067.webp IMG-20260821-WA0071.webp
 
Last edited:
Yesterday my mother told me about three pieces of wood at her house she wants to discard. Told me if I want and I was there to check.
First impression they are Maçaranduba (or Parajú).This wood is like sparrows or pigeons (you can find a lot any place).Here in Brazil.
The short piece capture my eyes because light color.
To my surprise was a piece of Pau Brasil (Orange board).I don't know how this piece was at her house (my father proprably) but I know it was there for at least 35 years.

View attachment 292451 View attachment 292452 Most common use in Brazil for Maçaranduba View attachment 292453 View attachment 292454 View attachment 292455 Oau Brasil View attachment 292456 View attachment 292457 View attachment 292458 View attachment 292459 View attachment 292460
Congrats! How fortuitous for you! You might need to enlarge your bird population?!?!
 
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #11
Congrats! How fortuitous for you! You might need to enlarge your bird population?!?!
You can't believe my first idea when I saw that.The board has 22×4×2 "
 
Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #12
I want to show you two of nice wood from Brazil.
The first one is Braúna
Melanoxylon brauna as scientific name.
The second one is Guaribu Amarelo:
Goniohachis marginata as scientific name.

The stumps are to old and bad conditions but thevwood inside is good.
IMG-20260928-WA0010.webp IMG-20260928-WA0014.webp IMG-20260928-WA0012.webp IMG-20260928-WA0017.webp The purple and yellow IMG-20260928-WA0025.webp IMG-20260928-WA0029.webp

IMG-20260928-WA0021.webp
 
Last edited:
I want to show you two of nice wood from Brazil.
The first one is Braúna
Melanoxylon brauna as scientific name.
The second one is Guaribu Amarelo:
Goniohachis marginata as scientific name.

The stumps are to old and bad conditions but thevwood inside is good.
View attachment 293992 View attachment 293993 View attachment 293994 View attachment 293995 The purple and yellow View attachment 293996 View attachment 293997

View attachment 293998
That is very very cool.
 
I want to show you two of nice wood from Brazil.
The first one is Braúna
Melanoxylon brauna as scientific name.
The second one is Guaribu Amarelo:
Goniohachis marginata as scientific name.

The stumps are to old and bad conditions but thevwood inside is good.
View attachment 293992 View attachment 293993 View attachment 293994 View attachment 293995 The purple and yellow View attachment 293996 View attachment 293997

View attachment 293998
Very attractive wood species that I’ve never heard anything about! How are they to work with? Chuck
 
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #15
Very attractive wood species that I’ve never heard anything about! How are they to work with? Chuck
It was a gift and I just made that rough cut.When I am back home and have this answer I'll coment here.
 
Hi Emerson, So it turns out Brazilian pepper tree Schinus terebinthifolia is very common here in Arizona as a street tree. I just started working with it for turning, very hard and fine grained. I will post a picture when I finish a piece if successful. Have you worked with it?
 
Back
Top