Briar

chatometry

Reaction score
First name
Paolo
@phinds your website says:

"I have not seen this shown as anything but a burl, so I assume it's from a plant that does not produce wood of a sufficient size for lumber or veneer."

I was yesterday in a forest of these trees. Most were about 2" in diameter, while a couple of them were 4-5 inches.

Paolo

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
@phinds your website says:

"I have not seen this shown as anything but a burl, so I assume it's from a plant that does not produce wood of a sufficient size for lumber or veneer."

I was yesterday in a forest of these trees. Most were about 2" in diameter, while a couple of them were 4-5 inches.
Interesting. Thanks, Paolo. Do these trees have burls on them or is the pipe briar burl always from the root?

chatometry

Reaction score
First name
Paolo
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I did not see any burl on the trunks. I was not aware about burl rootballs so I did not look for them. I can provide a trunk sample (not more than 1.75" wide). Paolo

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
I looked it up. Not exactly a root burl, apparently, but also not one that grows on the side of the tree itself. I have never previously heard of such:

1712177817948.png

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Erica arborea My burl sample came from Macchia. I thought they were lignotubers, but like many growths, sold as burls. I've seen many the size of an American football and several the size of a basketball. My common grained sample of stem stock came from Crete and is a 2 piece laminate. The 1-3 " diameter is common and rarely found over 5" in diameter. I assume the burl harvesting has an influence in restricting many plants from reaching potential.