Cinnamon Bench and Long'an Chair

Byron Barker

Reaction score
First name
Byron
My local carpenter friend here in Hualien Taiwan has recently been trying to source more local tree for furniture making after the Cultural Affairs Department asked him to promote local woodworking and wood. I helped him sort through which trees would work and we got a whole bunch of interesting local wood including local cinnamon (Cinnamomum osmophloeum). The wood is actually incredibly lovely and displays ribbons all throughout the grain as well as having a light cinnamon smell about the wood. The only issue is grain tear out. Very difficult to plane. The second is a slab of 100+ year old Long'an I had found for him some time before. He used local Zelkova for the the back and legs. Incredibly beautiful and sadly my phone just can't make it look the same.

DSC_0632.JPG

DSC_0633.JPG

DSC_0634.JPG

DSC_0635.JPG

DSC_0636.JPG

DSC_0637.JPG

DSC_0638.JPG

barry richardson

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Barry
Great looking stuff! Does your friend have a website? I'd like to see more of his work...

Byron Barker

Reaction score
First name
Byron
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
He's the resident framer for a large art gallery where his workshop is. I just talked with him yesterday about making a page, but he seemed uninterested. I think the gallery probably showcases his stuff online if they have a page. I'll look into it. The gallery's name is "Venus Gallery" in Hualien, Taiwan

Byron Barker

Reaction score
First name
Byron
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I asked the curator if she had his work on a website and she said she wouldn't. Taiwanese people like to copy and she was afraid people would steal his designs. I'll take some more pics of other stuff he's made though