Cleaning Up Old Tools

Jeff M.

Reaction score
First name
Jeff
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Socket chisels are better than a through tang I heard, or are they equally good at different times?

Jeff M.

Reaction score
First name
Jeff
So I was at my aunt's farm cutting up that wood and looking at her car for her. and I was showed her the Better Tool Co Saw and she said I had done a real nice job with it, she wanted me to have some more of his tools cause she knows I could use them and would hold onto them, Wasn't real fond of her grandson today for ripping the exhaust system off her car to say the least. Anyways I got a nice Disston saw, but I do need a bolt, for some reason the handle was off it and it was still on his workbench but I got all 5 slotted nuts and the medalion, just could not find one of the bolts. So if anyone has an extra or knows where to get one. It does have a couple surface cracks in the handle but they do not go deep down to the I got a horse shoe rasp and these things are razor sharp and last forever, I am going to see if it will work as a wood rasp since I do not have one. A nylon headed mallet with interchangeable heads, a Cross brand Brace, it is made in china and the chuck had a chipped tooth, it has a 10" swing. Its pretty cheap and there are no bearings in the head just the but the ratchet works and it came with a 1" auger bit. Anyways that is the old tools from the barn today and I am thinking I might ask to see if I can set up to build chairs in the tack room, no tack in there anymore and it is 20' x 20' would be plenty room till I get a place, just no heat, But a guy could put a portable heat source in there. She did say that I could use all the lumber I want and there must of been 200 boards in there that are full dimensional stuck in the hay mount and wherever else plus some other lumber. So as soon as the joiners box is done, I will be starting on my treadle lathe.

IMG_2221.JPG

IMG_2222.JPG

IMG_2223.JPG

IMG_2224.JPG

IMG_2228.JPG

Jeff M.

Reaction score
First name
Jeff
d23h5b.jpg

Finally, even as Disston began to cut corners and quality decreased in many aspects (look at the saw handle), D-23 saws made before 1955 are better than any handsaw sold since then.

The above picture and information came off www.disstonianinstitute.com I also used that sight to figure out the medallion. It says after 1940 they used applewood handles on a D-23. Is that still true for the 1955 saws. It did not say.

So the medallion says it is 1955 or after it is a 26" crosscut saw with 8 tpi and best I can tell it is a D-23 that is the same handle and bolt pattern.