**Closed*** Ice Picks for trade or sale

Are Ice picks a necessary tool for the home craftsman?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

FranklinWorkshops

Reaction score
First name
Larry
Like an awl to start holes for drilling. Also use them to scratch a line for band-sawing. And occasionally I use them for their intended purpose - to break up bagged ice that I buy at grocery stores. The steel in an ice pick is extremely strong and will stand lots of abuse. The ones you have are becoming relics but they are still very useful.

Maverick

Reaction score
First name
John
Alton, if you still have some, I will take 6.....you know, because we have so much ice to break up here in CA. :shok:

Maverick

Reaction score
First name
John
More than we do in Texas.

Depending on where you live I suppose. I lived in TX for for over 30 years and had more than a hand full of days of scraping ice or snow off windows.

I think in the 21 years I have lived in CA, I think I have scraped FROST off my windows twice.

Now when I lived in AK.....a whole nother story.... LOL

Maverick

Reaction score
First name
John
Alton, just curious, is there a back story to why you thought you needed to buy out their entire stock (besides the temporary insanity thing) ? Inquiring minds want to know. :cool:

greenmtnguy

Reaction score
First name
Alton
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I originally showed interest in just the printed handles of the ice house home town which is where I grew up. I believed the older generation of town that remembered there was an ice house before our time would have a nostalgia connection and want a souvenir of the business. as i was looking over the imprinted pick, one of the owner asked me why didn't I buy all of them. I said they would want too much for all of them and the answer was you would be surprised. They wanted the old local machine tool industry wooden boxes the pick were packed in for resale. So into a tote or two or three were dumped all the picks. The printed ones will be sold locally in state more than likely. I have bought a few large lots of assorted items and figured out how to get rid of them afterwards.

springfield ice picks 001.JPG

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
Got my box today, thanks Alton, I'll get some skeet together for you this weekend. Any ideas on polishing up the metal collars?

greenmtnguy

Reaction score
First name
Alton
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Got my box today, thanks Alton, I'll get some skeet together for you this weekend. Any ideas on polishing up the metal collars?
As you will have the collars off, I would either paint them a metallic silver or some color close to the color of them or with a collett chuck make a tapered holder and spin polish with either steel wool or fine sandpaper. Time is money so it needs to be quick and add value versus leaving them as they are.

Oldfolks

Reaction score
First name
Jerry
Alton I would take 12 if you have them (fairly decent ones please). PM me price and shipping and I'll PayPal you.