Closed>Japanese Chisel 18mm Tataki Nomi by Master blacksmith Shouji/Kazuyoshi Kikuhiromaru

Arn213

craM de la craM # RipJack City!
Reaction score
First name
Arn
This is one (1) sizable and beautifully made, custom ordered, new/old stock 18mm Japanese Chisel Tataki Nomi by Master blacksmith Shouji/Kazuyoshi Kikuhiromaru. Hand forged in Sanjō Niigata City, Niigata Prefecture out of white steel no.1 with Japanese red oak handle. This is a sizable timber chisel for basic framing timber work (for mortises and tenon). Overall length just over 11-1/2” long and 1” diameter handle out of premium quartered cut, Japanese red oak. A very well crafted, hand forged and heirloom quality woodworking tool that should last a lifetime.

This weighs approximately 11.3 ounce.

Maintained with Camilla Japanese oil & stored in a climate controlled environment with relative humidity between 45-55%.

^Note: will need to be fine tuned & set up to your taste for your desired woodworking, and/or guitar building needs.

Retails around $ 200 and a freight cost of about $ 30 if directly imported from Japan; $ 230. Save yourself the wait time, the shipping cost, etc. Pricing this to move $$$ shipped to the 50 States- that is $$ savings.

Last edited:

Arn213

Reaction score
First name
Arn
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Additional photo’s below to be able to compare them side by side as far as size and dimensions. You can see how much more hefty & heavy duty this chisel is compare to a bench chisel of the same brand. That’s a fare large amount of iron + steel on this 18mm compare to their standard chisel- not really proportional to the pricing and you get more bang for your buck on this particular chisel………..

Last edited:

Arn213

Reaction score
First name
Arn
Price drop to $ 125 shipped to the 50 States.

Arn213

Reaction score
First name
Arn
Dropping this too for $$$ shipped- again just want this to go to a good home and that is less than half the price! A lot of material for your money for a hand forged and heirloom quality hand tool.

Last edited:

Arn213

Reaction score
First name
Arn
pretty sneaky putting on that curly koa... beautiful chisel
@Mike1950 - it was the only prop I had at the immediate moment that blend with the surroundings and it wasn’t intentional.

Might as well throw in a PSA………..I just messaged a MOD about this and I don’t know if anyone realizes or knows about this- buyers from the US or internationally. Most individually sellers in Japan that “does not have an actual physical store or an actual legitimate web store in Japan” will not have the tool(s) they have in hand in their inventory! One obvious give away is if you peruse their inventory, every listing they have will have all different backgrounds when selling tools- the style of composition differs too on presentation. You want further proof- message them and ask for more photo’s requesting certain details. They either will not answer you or tell you that is all they have. This tactic unfortunately happens to electric guitars marketplace as well! This is commonplace and like an accepted norm in Japan to sellers who wants to make a profit is that they will advertise someone else’s item- sometimes you will find 2 or 3 sellers selling the same with different prices (or they lift a maker’s market standard retail advertisement). This is very obvious in guitar market place. When it does get bought, they pay for it and they send your physical address to whoever they bought it from in Japan to ship it directly to you. I am not making this up and this should be illegal, but it happens in the marketplace. Caveat emptor……

Last edited:

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
@Mike1950 - it was the only prop I had at the immediate moment that blend with the surroundings and it wasn’t intentional.

Might as well throw in a PSA………..I just messaged a MOD about this and I don’t know if anyone realizes or knows about this- buyers from the US or internationally. Most individually sellers in Japan that “does not have an actual physical store or an actual legitimate web store in Japan” will not have the tool(s) they have in hand in their inventory! One obvious give away is if you peruse their inventory, every listing they have will have all different backgrounds when selling tools- the style of composition differs too on presentation. You want further proof- message them and ask for more photo’s requesting certain details. They either will not answer you or tell you that is all they have. This tactic unfortunately happens to electric guitars marketplace as well! This is commonplace and like an accepted norm in Japan to sellers who wants to make a profit is that they will advertise someone else’s item- sometimes you will find 2 or 3 sellers selling the same with different prices (or they lift a maker’s market standard retail advertisement). This is very obvious in guitar market place. When it does get bought, they pay for it and they send your physical address to whoever they bought it from in Japan to ship it directly to you. I am not making this up and this should be illegal, but it happens in the marketplace. Caveat emptor……
I was just kidding you

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
I admire both but you are right. I was at Smithsonian and they had an old wooden boiler. I was fascinated by the mechanics of it but the oak in the boiler was amazing...

Arn213

Reaction score
First name
Arn
Mike @Mike1950 has posted a great deal of well crafted builds in here that I personal feel are museum quality. So can’t say he just collects wood, but he actually puts them to action. His workbench and some tansu chest is my favorite. But, have you actually seen the master plaster work and decor in his dining room? It is “art imitating life or vice versa”.

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Mike @Mike1950 has posted a great deal of well crafted builds in here that I personal feel are museum quality. So can’t say he just collects wood, but he actually puts them to action. His workbench and some tansu chest is my favorite. But, have you actually seen the master plaster work and decor in his dining room? It is “art imitating life or vice versa”.
Thank you Arn. The nice thing about plaster is you never cut it short, just mix another bag.

Last edited: