Closed- Thank goodness.....Curly ovangkol/shedua

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Sorry--misread the add--make that as thick as you have by 10"+. New rule here--never type after happy pills.

No worries- typing nor editting are my best skills. I will be back to this thread with pics

Sprung

Amateur Sawdust Maker
Reaction score
First name
Matt
No worries- typing nor editting are my best skills. I will be back to this thread with pics

I don't know, Mike. For someone who learned on one of the first abacuses ever made, it seems like you do pretty decently with the whole modern technology thing. Much better than some of the octogenarians who are newborn babes compared to you. :sofa:

(BTW - NICE wood. I've been eyeing it up every time you've posted pics of it. But wife says no wood purchases right now and no exceptions - and she's watching me like a hawk. Did at least get to do a trade!)

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
I have 8-10 " like this.x 2 have not dug back down to 10/4 yet. This is sprayed with water. Mineral spirits are dafker on other.

20171118_104948.jpg

20171118_104959.jpg

Ken Martin

Reaction score
First name
Ken
How thick and how long is this piece? ...and what are you asking for it?

Looking forward to seeing the 10/4”!

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Will have measure to get price, and correction above 2x8

gman2431

Reaction score
First name
cody
Do you have the black colored curly stuff like first pic? The other stuff doesn't look like it unless that firat pic was ran through a filter.

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Do you have the black colored curly stuff like first pic? The other stuff doesn't look like it unless that firat pic was ran through a filter.
First pic was sanded 180 not by me and mineral spirits. I normaly do not use MS but i will on this board it darkens. End grain on both just as dark. Lighting was different also. My flourescent suck. Out sidd original 10/4, MS, in center

20171118_101332.jpg

gman2431

Reaction score
First name
cody
Looks much better!!

If in your cutting for the others you get some thats super curly I would be interested. No need to special cut. Just see what falls off the others.

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Looks much better!!

If in your cutting for the others you get some thats super curly I would be interested. No need to special cut. Just see what falls off the others.
Size? I will picture it rough. They are all same color rough. I wont plane ones that are obviously curly.

Ken Martin

Reaction score
First name
Ken
So... the middle board is 10/4”? How wide is it and how long? And ultimately, the price will tell the tale.

gman2431

Reaction score
First name
cody
Size? I will picture it rough. They are all same color rough. I wont plane ones that are obviously curly.

1.625 by 6 min or any blocks that will produce that. I can cut easily enough to that. Really looking for the curly curly tho... And no rush on em just stack em on your lathe and we will get to em one day!:lol2:

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
1.625 by 6 min or any blocks that will produce that. I can cut easily enough to that. Really looking for the curly curly tho... And no rush on em just stack em on your lathe and we will get to em one day!:lol2:

If you want call blanks i have those cut. Sold a lot of turkey pot ans duck call blanks.

Ken Martin

Reaction score
First name
Ken
Middle board is 1 5/8×24. It is sold.

Ok, a accept that it is sold, but I’m having trouble following your measurements. I get the 1 5/8. That’s in inches. The 24... is that in inches also? Is that board 24 inches wide?(very deceptive if it is) Or is it 24 inches long? Or is that the length in feet? I’m just trying to follow what you are trying to tell me sorry to be a pest.

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Ok, a accept that it is sold, but I’m having trouble following your measurements. I get the 1 5/8. That’s in inches. The 24... is that in inches also? Is that board 24 inches wide?(very deceptive if it is) Or is it 24 inches long? Or is that the length in feet? I’m just trying to follow what you are trying to tell me sorry to be a pest.
I posted that board to show tru color of wood outside. It is 1 5/8×1 5/8 x 24" long.
I think cody is right new wood i just got is a different color than first batch. No surprise there. I may have to start this whole thing over.

Ken Martin

Reaction score
First name
Ken
Gotcha! I’ll be looking forward to seeing the curly 8/4” - 10/4” stuff. Thanks for your patience.