" CLOSED " Very different and unique Desert Ironwood for casting

shadetree_1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Full Member
Messages
4,369
Reaction score
5,331
Location
Nutrioso, AZ
First name
Joe
The colors are very beautiful in this, about 12" x 12" x 4 1/2", distinctly different and it will make a fantastic bowl blank when cast, anybody out there brave enough for this one ?
$25 plus $26 for shipping. 20250223_080742.jpg 20250223_080755.jpg 20250223_080841.jpg 20250223_080836.jpg 20250223_080829.jpg

20250223_080829.jpg
 
Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #3
It is all root, and unlike most trees where the root is considerably softer, not so with DIW, this is hard ! In fact my old 1956 Toledo meat saw ( converted to 110 volt and wood ) wasn't happy about cutting it !
 
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #6
I can smell the wood burning while you are tossing ideas around in your noggin, careful now, heat is the enemy of ironwood when you do any kind of drilling in it, even a pen blank will blow out if you drill too fast !!
 
I can smell the wood burning while you are tossing ideas around in your noggin, careful now, heat is the enemy of ironwood when you do any kind of drilling in it, even a pen blank will blow out if you drill too fast !!
Your stuff demands fresh carbide sacrifices for sure! Roughing a couple to see what they want to be. The one with the hole through the middle is my favorite so far. Not easy shaping but at least I don't get a nose full of ash. Just came in from roughing a vessel from @Burly Man. Definitely some pockets of extra crispy lol.
 
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #8
Yes sir, it's real hard wood, I think on the Janke scale of hardness, it's way up there, not too far behind Ipe, I think Ipe sets at about 3600 on the scale and Desert Ironwood is right around 3250, I think that is pretty close, I could be wrong but I think not.
 
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #9
Be careful with the dust when cutting this stuff, it's not toxic but it sure plays he double hockey sticks with your sinuses
 
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #10
@vegas urban lumber
Well my friend, I smelt wood ash all the way down here while you were thinking about this piece, did you come up with any earth shattering ideas for it ?
 
Cutn that stuff is like living 2 miles from a pulpwood factory, on a downwind day. Still got a bunch from ya, from a couple years ago. Pretty when it quits stinkn lol
 
Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #13
No sir it did not, but I hate taking up space when a piece doesn't have anyone's interest so I pull it.
 
Back
Top