Crab apple branch 17 inches long

DLJeffs

Member
Full Member
Messages
7,283
Reaction score
18,543
Location
central Oregon
First name
Doug
My neighbor pruned his crab apple tree a few years ago and I grabbed a couple branches with the intent to use them in my smoker. I don't care for the smell so have this branch to trade. It's been in my garage for over 3 years now. It's 17 inches long, roughly 3.5" on the wider end, and 3+" on the narrow end. It has some small checks but I don't think they go far. I don't know what specie of crab apple this is - it's hard with a nice color contrast between the heart and sapwood. It has a few branch connections which should add some interest to the grain.

If you think you'd like to turn it into something, let me know what you might have to trade. I'm pretty open to most anything, just remember I don't have a lathe and don't turn.
Thanks for looking,
Doug

full branch.webp

wide end.webp

narrow end.webp

close up of wide end.webp
 
Hey Doug would you be interested in some Smoketree or Kentucky Coffeetree chunks/pieces? Of course I am at work right now and not near my wood, and I'll be out of town over the weekend, but let me know, or if you have any species in mind we can play "Go Fish" and figure something out. Happy Friday!
 
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #3
Sure, happy to swap for either one of those. I'd prefer something with a 3" side so I could slice it into box sides or use it as the frame for a lid or something. But I'm pretty flexible. Luckily, this branch is still sitting right where it was. I've been doing a little shop cleaning and trying to find things I can get rid of. I'll make sure I don't get rid of this branch without hearing from you first. Let me know what you have that you're willing to part with. I'm sure we can figure something out. Thanks for resurrecting this post.
 
Yes sir. I will take a picture of a couple of things on Tuesday and send them. Do you want them here or in the PMs?
 
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #5
Here's fine with me. I don't know how to post a photo in PM's. Everytime I've tried it won't let me.
 
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #6
Al ( @Pops ),
I pulled that crab apple branch out and was looking at it in closer detail. There is a check that goes about 3/4 the length of the branch. It does go deeper than just the bark but I can't tell how deep. Here's a couple photos of it:
crab apple.webp

crab apple end grain.webp

If that changes your mind that's totally understandable. Other than that check I think it's pretty solid.
 
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #9
Just to keep this out in the open, Al and I worked out a trade. We're mailing the piece(s) to each other this week or next.
 
Back
Top