That’s a species I’ve never heard of! Nice looking pen!I am very lucky to add creosote bush (Larrea tridentata) to my collection. Wood and turning thanks to Joe Tuinstra.
View attachment 293770View attachment 293771View attachment 293772
View attachment 293769
G
First time encountering them lost a tire. Stay on the roads became my motto, but then you learn how to go around them if it's a thick grouping or look closely and go through them if there is space.Very nice pen. Only thing I knew creosote to be good for was punching holes in sidewalls of pickup tires:)
If you ever find a burl, I'd like first dibs for a pen, please.First time encountering them lost a tire. Stay on the roads became my motto, but then you learn how to go around them if it's a thick grouping or look closely and go through them if there is space.
A couple years ago I found a place that was being cleared for housing that had a bunch ripped out of the ground. Had 2-3"+ multi trunks. Couldn't grab any at the time. Went back a couple days later to find an ash pile. Disappointed, but I live in Greaswood country, AKA Creosote Bush, so not an issue. Finding them that size is going to be, though. ........ Nubs
Hey Man, I got first dibs. But, if I find a second one, you'll get it. Now, here's the kicker. I've lived in the desert since 1973. I've seen thousands of Grease Woods, and only seen about 2-300 plants ripped out of the ground for construction. Never was interested in them until I found those one mentioned above with no burls. I am on the lookout now, but I gotta get them before the guy with the match does. ................ NubsIf you ever find a burl, I'd like first dibs for a pen, please.
Thanks,
G
I hear ya, man. Even the non-burl is really hard to find in terms of usable pieces for woodworking. And a burl would be a unicorn, even more so than all those rare and prized burls like amboyna!Hey Man, I got first dibs. But, if I find a second one, you'll get it. Now, here's the kicker. I've lived in the desert since 1973. I've seen thousands of Grease Woods, and only seen about 2-300 plants ripped out of the ground for construction. Never was interested in them until I found those one mentioned above with no burls. I am on the lookout now, but I gotta get them before the guy with the match does. ................ Nubs
Put me in for 3rds, but I really need platter size!Hey Man, I got first dibs. But, if I find a second one, you'll get it. Now, here's the kicker. I've lived in the desert since 1973. I've seen thousands of Grease Woods, and only seen about 2-300 plants ripped out of the ground for construction. Never was interested in them until I found those one mentioned above with no burls. I am on the lookout now, but I gotta get them before the guy with the match does. ................ Nubs
It's probably local as I looked through a bunch of sites describing the bush, and none has that name in them. ....... NubsI don't know if it's a regional thing, but I've only heard of that plant as chico brush.