Curly Ash Bowl

Bean_counter

Reaction score
First name
Michael
this is a curly ash bowl that measures about 8” wide and 2-1/4 deep. The figure on this is amazing but I did have one screw up. There was a small
check in the end that I sealed with CA and it ended up staining it. I used a wash coat of shellac over the top but maybe it wasn’t enough. Finish is Danish oil and the buffed. Anyway I love the way it turned out. Blank came from Larry @FranklinWorkshops. I am open to constructive criticism as well.

F1832F22-20E2-4250-A6EA-8CEEB86F6C5C.jpeg 09A5AF22-E7F9-4CA0-A617-4CB166ECCA13.jpeg 048550D6-9331-4CD9-BF08-A66041BC1065.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Eric Rorabaugh

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Eric
Just cc here...
I don't think you should display it. Not the caliber of your work. Send it to me. Really, I do like it. The simple style shows off the wood. No fancy design to take away from the curl of the wood! Good job!

Gdurfey

Reaction score
First name
Garry
Wow Michael, great job. Agree with Mike above, I really like the straightforward design on this allowing the wood to sit there and look stunning!!!

Lou Currier

Reaction score
First name
Lou
I like the simplicity and the foot design. The cross pattern on the inside is real nice. For what it’s worth, I can’t see the crack. I’m sure if I did an @rocky1 and blew it up I could probably find it :sarcastic:

DKMD

Sawbones
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
David
Nice shape, pretty wood, and a beautiful finish... kudos!

ironman123

Reaction score
First name
Ray
Michael, that is some nice looking ash. You made a beautiful bowl from it and as David Hill said, I really like the graining.:texas::good2::good2::good2:

Nubsnstubs

Where is it???
Reaction score
First name
Jerry
Here is a pic of the crack

View attachment 166519
For me, that crack is a feature. It doesn't distract at all. Well done on a nice piece of wood.

Living in the desert with humidity at 5% most of the time, it real hard to find any wood that doesn't have cracks. Sealing the ends doesn't help for me, so I do what I can to use the wood as is. ...... Jerry (in Tucson)