Curly Cherry Table

JLTibbetts

Reaction score
First name
James
A while back I got some curly cherry from good friend and member here Mike at pvwoodcrafts.
It was some fine looking lumber and quite a bargain. The legs and bread boards are from some old cherry that's been waiting to be put to use. I like the contrast with the curly. The draw bore pins are ebony.
Many thanks to Mike for the great material. If you ever get a chance to stop by his place and pick up some lumber do it !! Be warned.. it's a candy store :)
This was my first attempt at a table. Now I have to learn to do chairs.

Jim

table1.jpg

table2.jpg

djg

Reaction score
First name
Dan
Beautiful table. I like the simple legs; they don't distract you from the top. Never done a bread board end, how deep (long) is the tenon? It looks like the pegs aren't hitting the tenon (which I'm sure they are); is it a haunched (right term?) tenon?

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
That is great! I remember when you got that wood, it's spectacular, awesome job.

JLTibbetts

Reaction score
First name
James
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks to all for the compliments. It was a lot of fun, a little frustrating at times, and definitely a learning experience.
djg there are 3 tenons, 2-1/2" deep and about 7" wide and as you noted the 2 outer ones are haunched.
The finish is Arm-R-Seal Satin; 3 coats applied with a 4" foam brush. My first time using it and I'm very pleased with the result.

djg

Reaction score
First name
Dan
Thanks, I thought so. If I may, I've never done a bread board edge and I've brought the subject up before. Why is the tenon broken up into segments and not a continuous tenon. In you case, is the deep mortise a continuous (except the ends) or are there individual mortises to mate withe the tenons?

Last edited:

JLTibbetts

Reaction score
First name
James
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
There is an individual mortise for each of the 3 tenons which are about 1/3 the thickness of the top. If you were to make a continuous mortise you would leave only 1/3 of the top thickness above and below the tenon to restrict bow and twist. The additional thickness between the tenons should provide substantially more reinforcement. That's my take on it anyway.