Curly maple

Clinton Johnson

Reaction score
First name
Clinton
Hello. I have a few logs that hv great figure and I would like to get them processed and sold. I’m always finding these logs as I do small clearing jobs on the Olympic Pininsula here where they are found frequently.

97C63851-B618-434F-854B-FF6483628362.jpeg

AF75F836-1CD7-47FC-9BB2-9DFCB3E431E0.jpeg

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
Clifton, are you looking to sell the logs or processed wood?

Clinton Johnson

Reaction score
First name
Clinton
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Howdy. I’m hoping to learn to process it too make full potential money from them as I find them a few times a year. I’m not into these logs much so I can sit on them and afford to learn more from them. I bought a small diesel lt15 wide cut and built a big dryer rack inside the wood shop. I did hv a local buyer offer me 1300$ for a 30’log. I’m thinking that’s low...?

Clinton Johnson

Reaction score
First name
Clinton
Thanks again cuz I am not sure what I am doing here but I’m definitely excited about it!!!

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
You'll get the hang of it soon. Have a look around, get a sense for how things go here.

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
I'm more of a chainsaw miller. You are leaps and bounds ahead of me with having a band mill. Actually @Mike1950 might be better to ask about milling logs to retain the most figure.

Clinton Johnson

Reaction score
First name
Clinton
Thanks! I’m guy that dives in head first so have your flotation device nearby...I’ve been slowing gearing up for a dip into the figure wood market here. I greatly appreciate any help or info I can get! I’m also hoping to have the wood I find sold to the folks who live here in the USA. Not China... I have learned to detest cheap stuff that breaks down and creates waste...

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
Clinton, theres a lot of info in the milling and processing section. A lot of older threads that are good reads and sources of info. Also tips about drying and what sizes are easier to ship.

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
I moved this here, hopefully some guys that know what they're talking about will jump in and help.

vegas urban lumber

Reaction score
First name
trev
finding and processing figured woods is a great experience. in a lot of case the best figure is in quartersawn aspect. that is at 90 degrees to to the bark. sycamore, oak, figured eucalyptus are all examples of such. crotch figure is also highly prized in walnut and others. i agree that @Mike1950 will probably be best able to speak to sawing figured maples

KIMG1875.JPG

KIMG1873.JPG

dixdance

Reaction score
First name
richard
You may already know this, but if your wood is of a quality and size to make guitars, you can get much for it than selling as a just lumber. It would probably be worthwhile to do some research before making cutting decisions. Plenty of guitar makers out there.

Wildthings

ASTROS '23 ALCS CHAMPIONS runnerup
Reaction score
First name
Barry
You may already know this, but if your wood is of a quality and size to make guitars, you can get much for it than selling as a just lumber. It would probably be worthwhile to do some research before making cutting decisions. Plenty of guitar makers out there.
And @Mike1950 can help you out on that also

Clinton Johnson

Reaction score
First name
Clinton
Yes sir I’m well aware of that and that’s my plan. In my small community thier are lot’s of meth addicted thieves running around here cutting blocks and making good money for them to fry more brain cells. I’m a local contractor w my own machinery and I hv found these logs before. I just sold them to a local buyer who then sold them to Gibson. I don’t think I want my logs going to China. I want to learn how to cut the blocks if that’s the way? I own a small bandsaw mill and could just sell slabs as I hv some slabs of cedar cut already and that was easy and a complete blast!!any interest or info is greatly appreciated!

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Hello Clinton. Used to go to a mill there but once Greg died things changed. Plenty to learn. Some info above is valid with big leaf , some sketchy.
PM me and Maybe we talk on phone. I can steer you in right direction to cut. And dry. Drying there is slow.

Clinton Johnson

Reaction score
First name
Clinton
finding and processing figured woods is a great experience. in a lot of case the best figure is in quartersawn aspect. that is at 90 degrees to to the bark. sycamore, oak, figured eucalyptus are all examples of such. crotch figure is also highly prized in walnut and others. i agree that @Mike1950 will probably be best able to speak to sawing figured maples

View attachment 181763

View attachment 181764
Yes sir I’m well aware of that and that’s my plan. In my small community thier are lot’s of meth addicted thieves running around here cutting blocks and making good money for them to fry more brain cells. I’m a local contractor w my own machinery and I hv found these logs before. I just sold them to a local buyer who then sold them to Gibson. I don’t think I want my logs going to China. I want to learn how to cut the blocks if that’s the way? I own a small bandsaw mill and could just sell slabs as I hv some slabs of cedar cut already and that was easy and a complete blast!!any interest or info is greatly appreciated!
howdy! Thanks for info. I’m not very savvy with this computer stuff but if u can text or call me I’d love to chat! NO PERSONAL CONTACT INFO IN OPEN FORUM... phone number removed

Last edited by a moderator: