Da moose

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
I mentioned about 2 weeks ago that the grandson had seen the moose on the way to school- now remember- I am not rural 1 acre or less lots. Plenty of people. On the way to school down by the golf course I saw a moose in the wetlands. 5 minutes later the bull was at the end of my block- he probably is close to 50" spread this year- healthy and plenty cocky. probably 30 yds from the car- I sat and watched with foot on gas. He could care less about me- 2 dogs were barking behind a cyclone fence and he was irritated by the noise. he moved across the street- kinda slippery for him on the dry asphalt. as soon as he cleared the asphalt he charged the dogs but one antler caught on the stop sign which slowed him down- almost took the sign out. He grunted at the dogs and finally wandered down the middle of the street with people backing up to avoid him. I think he is in the rut and showing his stuff- he would gladly take on any car- at least that is the way it appeared. Finally tired of walking down the street and went into a yard to chomp on some very nice Japanese maple- you know the big dollar ones- he is a moose with expensive culinary tastes. We will start taking the camera in the mornings. I would have loved to have a picture of him and the sign. Moose updates will be in this thread. He is back 2 months earlier - probably not good news......

Last edited:

Theburlbroker

Reaction score
First name
Ian
Glad the feistiest thing we have here is the occasional bear. Couldn't imagine dealing with a bunch of moose lol.

DKMD

Sawbones
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
David
This moose is rapidly becoming part of my transition to cold weather. There's not much I enjoy about winter, but I definitely get a kick out of the moose tales from the PNW!

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
Aw, Mikeys pet is back.....here kitty kitty kitty, LOL.

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
That must be one of those siamese moose cats....you can tell by the coloring. :p

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hey it was funny today- our stop sign at the end of the block has a definite lean to it. I got out the slingshot, marbles and bottle rockets. Also the trip to the shop has taken on a new excitement while it is dark.........

Kevin

Wood is good.
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Are those 3 dry spots in your yard where he was lying around also? Gosh you have snow on the ground man I have to stop complaining.

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Kevin that was last years picture- just to show someone above- no snow yet but it will be here soon. Yes those spots were where he had been lying down. I think he gets up and stretches quite often.

Kevin

Wood is good.
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
I guess the ground gets too warm for him so he has to relocate to a colder spot. Those dumb meese. snicker.

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
I guess the ground gets too warm for him so he has to relocate to a colder spot. Those dumb meese. snicker.

Maybe but I was thinking more like a horse haveing to get up and move. He only sits for a half hour or less. Or maybe like a milkcow- chewing her cud. They eat wood so digestive track must be hardy.

Kevin

Wood is good.
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Moose eat wood? As in just chew on to pass the time, or as in eat and swallow for nourishment?

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Moose eat wood? As in just chew on to pass the time, or as in eat and swallow for nourishment?

Moose are principally browsers- they eat wood. If I was to box up a moose turd and send it to you, you would see that it is like a pellet you would burn in stove. When I say he liked to dine on the expensive trees in the neighborhood- I am not kidding. He will stand on his hind legs and get 12-14 feet in the air and rip the branches down. Watching this one at 1000 lbs+- guess- I have a very new great respect for his abilities. Surprises the hell out of me how agile he is for being one of the largest critters on the continent.

BarbS

Reaction score
First name
Barb
I have a brother on South Hill above the Cheney Hwy. in Spokane, where Mike1950 lives, and they have a resident moose who strips their apple trees, strips their peach tree and then comes to stare in the kitchen window. It's a darn nuisance, but they don't dare go outside and shoo it away! Those things are nasty mean.

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
I have a brother on South Hill above the Cheney Hwy. in Spokane, where Mike1950 lives, and they have a resident moose who strips their apple trees, strips their peach tree and then comes to stare in the kitchen window. It's a darn nuisance, but they don't dare go outside and shoo it away! Those things are nasty mean.

Barb tell them they really do not like bottle rockets and silingshots...........

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
Barb tell them they really do not like bottle rockets and silingshots...........
Like mike really needs the moose as an excuse to play with bottle rockets and slingshots, LOL.:D

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Like mike really needs the moose as an excuse to play with bottle rockets and slingshots, LOL.:D

SHHHHH don't tell kathie. You should see that sucker jump when ya bast him in the butt with a marble. BIG grin here The damn deer are so tame the bottle rockets barely get them to look and the marbles do almost nothing...........

brown down

Reaction score
First name
jeff
crossbow would fix that issue. depends on how far away your neighbors are. moose meats good eating!!

if you have all your neighbors permission to hunt within the said laws, i would be having moose steaks already if i was you hahahah but thats me!