Drill Press Dust Collector

SENC

Reaction score
First name
Henry
I've always been frustrated that I couldn't find or make a dust collection attachment for my drill press that did any meaningful good. Short of getting the hose-end right up next to the drill, there just isn't enough suction given the wide-open space of a DP table.

As I was searching a few weeks ago for some plans for a DP fence (would welcome any recommendations you may have), I came across this product made by a shop enthusiast. I like supporting small businesses like this, so thought I'd take a chance even though it wasn't an immaterial expense. I've got to say, it really does make a difference and is worth the price to me - certainly leaps and bounds ahead of anything else I've tried. The owner/creator, Trish, has also been extremely helpful and communicative - she sent an upgrade to the bracket automatically upon creating it (I thought the original was just fine and didn't know it needed or was being upgraded), and she also mentioned having recently seen a DP with a throat bigger than she designed for and that she was planning to create an extension. As it turns out, my DP is of that larger variety, and though I'd come up with a satisfactory workaround when I mentioned it she quickly finished design and creation of the extension and had one in the mail to me within days, along with a custom youtube clip on how to install it! Bottom line, this is a really nice little product if you've been looking for a way to use your dust collection system at your DP, and an even better vendor/creator. I've put a couple pictures of my setup below, as well as a link to Trish's site.

DPext1.jpeg DPext2.jpeg

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Your links both give me just a blank page

EDIT: Seems to work OK now

Last edited:

SENC

Reaction score
First name
Henry
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Real world update as I'm making my dust collection hose switcher... I used a 2-1/4" forstner bit to remove the bulk of wood in multiple bites from the five holes in the base (before I route each to a final 4"). This is 1" thick hardwood plywood, so hogging out a good bit of wood. A few pics tell the story, but in short this fixture made what would have been a big mess into a tiny one.

Before:
IMG_20220815_194245.jpg

After the last hole:
IMG_20220815_194318.jpg
IMG_20220815_194345.jpg

Board after drilling to give an idea of how much wood was removed"
IMG_20220815_194404.jpg