Easy to make Christmas gifts

Ralph Muhs

Reaction score
First name
Ralph
My 18 inch Grizzly lathe can accommodate short segments of stock. Walking sticks can be up to 54 inches long with three segments i have to make 15 of these for grandchildren and parents. These are made from cherry, walnut, sassafras, gum. Others will be made of whatever scraps I have. Segments are fastened together with double threaded fasteners about 1/4 inch by about 2 inches long. I used them to install stairway balusters once. A little glue between the segments, a vise, and a small pipe wrench to screw them together. They are pretty simple, and an inept woodworker like me can do it in about 2 hours. 25D2EA8F-D9F8-4900-A842-E551F1A7E1D9.jpeg

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
I think those are called hanger bolts? They can also be had with a machine screw theead on one end. You can get them at any hardware or big box store.

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
The sickness has started on the radio, had 3 separate stations that have started Christmas music 24/7. They just could not wait a week and allow people to give thanks.

Ralph Muhs

Reaction score
First name
Ralph
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Gum wood
A few years ago, I sawed a large gum log and attempted to entice.some woodbarter sawdust heads to buy some of it. No interest! Most comments about gum were not complimentary. Ok. No problem. But if you look at the top segments of some of these walking canes, you will see some beautiful wood. At least I like it. It is very dense, close grained, hard wood. I think it is rarely used but my experience is that it is very pretty.