♪♫ εηdεd ♫♪ Black Walnut Crotch

FranklinWorkshops

Reaction score
First name
Larry
This board is 30 inches long, 7.75 inches wide and almost an inch thick. It could be re-sawn into thinner boards and used to make drawer fronts on high-end furniture. A piece this thick and long could easily make two sets of book matched fronts.

The photos show both sides of the board. The board is very flat. There was no water or any other product used to enhance these photos.

My price is $30.00 plus the actual cost of shipping by FedEx Ground from zip code 19350. I'll be glad to determine the shipping cost if you send me your zip code.

fullsizeoutput_311c.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_311d.jpeg

FranklinWorkshops

Reaction score
First name
Larry
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ill take it if it is not taken
Joe,

I've not heard back from Bill so let me give him at least 24 hours to respond to my note quoting the shipping cost. If I get no response this evening, I'll be glad to sell it to you. Shipping might be a bit less to NJ from my house. I have many walnut crotches so there will be others for sale in the near future.

Thanks,
Larry

Mike Hill

Board Whoarder
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Thank you Larry, Was just in Hermitage this morning - we're redoing an Aldis in Hermitage. The way traffic is now, that's not always a fun trip.

MIke

FranklinWorkshops

Reaction score
First name
Larry
Patience will be rewarded. I've been overwhelmed with home decor orders from Etsy customers today. Will post at least two walnut crotches tonight or first thing in the morning. Just built these crates for a rush baby shower order this morning from old Am Chestnut. Going to be table centerpieces with baby toys inside.

IMG_1392.JPG

Joe Williams

Reaction score
First name
Joe
Patience will be rewarded. I've been overwhelmed with home decor orders from Etsy customers today. Will post at least two walnut crotches tonight or first thing in the morning. Just built these crates for a rush baby shower order this morning from old Am Chestnut. Going to be table centerpieces with baby toys inside.

View attachment 143526
Those are cool!

Ken Martin

Reaction score
First name
Ken
Are any of those walnut crotch pieces 8/4” by chance? Also, what kind of dimensions of chestnut do you have and is any of it for sale?

FranklinWorkshops

Reaction score
First name
Larry
Are any of those walnut crotch pieces 8/4” by chance? Also, what kind of dimensions of chestnut do you have and is any of it for sale?
Ken,
I think I have some 8/4 crotches and I might still have a few 12/4 crotches I bought years ago from Iowa. Are you looking for something to re-saw and book match?

Almost all the chestnut I have is 4/4 boards that were sawn from old barn beams. What size do you need? I might find some around here.

Ken Martin

Reaction score
First name
Ken
For the walnut, I would be looking for 10”-12” bowl blanks or pieces I can cut bowl blanks out of. Of course, I’ll find something to make out of the drops, too. So I’d be interested in either 8/4 or 12/4.

As for the chestnut, that will be for turkey calls. I make a cut and glue box, so I could possibly use 4/4” if the grain is right. I would need it quarter-sawn on the broad side and if the grain rolls from one edge of the board to the other, I’d need for it to be 45° to 90°. If it lays any flatter than that it just doesn’t sound right. Oh, and it would help if you only showed me boards that sound like turkeys.:taunt: Seriously, if it’s a little wormy that’s a bonus.

FranklinWorkshops

Reaction score
First name
Larry
Picky, picky, picky!!! Now you are talking crotch walnut bowl blanks, right? Let me pull out some chestnut next week and see what I can find. I never knew that turkeys like the sound of wormy chestnut. :lol2:

Ken Martin

Reaction score
First name
Ken
They like the two I’ve made so far! So did the guy that bought one of em! The other one resides in my hunting bag. It has sweettalked about 6 or 7 in so far.