♫ εηdεd ♫ Cocus Logs

PhiS

Reaction score
First name
Philip
I'm looking for logs of cocus wood (Brya ebenus). This must be one of the few forums where people are likely to know what it is!

I need it for antique furniture restoration. Cocus was used for a period in English furniture in the seventeenth century. Specifically I need logs so we can turn some legs.

That means compared to musical instrument makers etc., I need quite a bit. On the other hand, we are much more tolerant of condition - shakes in the wood etc may not be a problem for us.

I'm in England and I've bought cocus before from a woodyard in Amsterdam (recommended, by the way, they are good people) but they're all out now. If anyone has any that would be great, or if anyone has any leads they can give me I'd be very grateful.

All the best,

Philip

PhiS

Reaction score
First name
Philip
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Sorry Mark, I don't understand your question?

Blueglass

Reaction score
First name
Les
Mark is in the Virgin Islands, I tagged him to see if he could help you.
I saw that Gilmerwoods has Cocus logs but they are pretty pricey. After looking it up I will probably try to find some to make a drum out of at some point.

Last edited:

PhiS

Reaction score
First name
Philip
I saw that Gilmerwoods has Cocus logs but they are pretty pricey. After looking it up I will probably try to find some to make a drum out of at some point.

Sorry, I get it now - I was being thick before! Thanks for the suggestion, will be good to see what he says.

barry richardson

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Barry
Les, any chance it grows in the Keys ?

PhiS

Reaction score
First name
Philip
Great, thanks Erik. I think the bark has to be stripped before it can be shipped.

MarksCaribbeanWoodworks

Reaction score
First name
Mark
I think I saw a cocus tree here yesterday. If I am not mistaken the leaves were very tight to the branches. But my wife called it something else. I will have to check on this

PhiS

Reaction score
First name
Philip
I think I saw a cocus tree here yesterday. If I am not mistaken the leaves were very tight to the branches. But my wife called it something else. I will have to check on this

Wow, I've never seen the real thing growing! You probably know it has loads of names: granadillo (which it isn't), green ebony, Jamaican ebony, Jamaican rain tree etc. It looks very dark under less than bright lights, and it was used as a cheaper ebony substitute by cabinet makers. Under bright light it's a fairly pale colour, a bit like a cross between olive and rosewood.

MarksCaribbeanWoodworks

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Wow, I've never seen the real thing growing! You probably know it has loads of names: granadillo (which it isn't), green ebony, Jamaican ebony, Jamaican rain tree etc. It looks very dark under less than bright lights, and it was used as a cheaper ebony substitute by cabinet makers. Under bright light it's a fairly pale colour, a bit like a cross between olive and rosewood.
I have to remember where I saw that sucker and I will go and take a pic.

MarksCaribbeanWoodworks

Reaction score
First name
Mark
here is what I have, one is checked to heck the others have some but look pretty good. From left to right.
1st is 8" diameter 39" long this is the checked one
2nd 8" D 33" L
3rd 6 1/2 D 36" L
4th 5" D 38 L
the block on top is from 1 of the logs I milled upView attachment 98553 View attachment 98554 View attachment 98555 View attachment 98556 View attachment 98557 View attachment 98558 View attachment 98559 View attachment 98560
Those are sweet man. If u ever wanted to trade one of those for some Mahogany I be into that

Kevin

Wood is good.
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
I have access to cocus but looks like you're covered.

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
That's excellent news. Thanks for the update...

HomeBody

Reaction score
First name
Gary
I've never heard of cocus until now. This forum has everything. I like it. Gary

PhiS

Reaction score
First name
Philip
So just to get to the end of the tale of the cocus logs, Erik did a fantastic job of waxing and packing up four beauties and UPS shipped them over to me in London.

Never having imported timber from the USA before I was a bit nervous of Customs and all, but in fact it all went extremely smoothly. Freight wasn't cheap but considering the weight and the fact that it took 1-2 working days only to reach me, it's not that bad. In fact I'd recommend UPS having used them twice in quick succession.

I'm very appreciative to Erik who gave me plenty of photos and a good description of the timber, and was fair and good to deal with throughout. And while I'm giving thanks, I had no idea this forum existed until Google led me here, and what a super job the people who run it do. All good (bar the aching back from lifting logs of some of the densest wood around)!

Kevin

Wood is good.
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
So just to get to the end of the tale of the cocus logs, Erik did a fantastic job of waxing and packing up four beauties and UPS shipped them over to me in London.

Never having imported timber from the USA before I was a bit nervous of Customs and all, but in fact it all went extremely smoothly. Freight wasn't cheap but considering the weight and the fact that it took 1-2 working days only to reach me, it's not that bad. In fact I'd recommend UPS having used them twice in quick succession.

I'm very appreciative to Erik who gave me plenty of photos and a good description of the timber, and was fair and good to deal with throughout. And while I'm giving thanks, I had no idea this forum existed until Google led me here, and what a super job the people who run it do. All good (bar the aching back from lifting logs of some of the densest wood around)!

Thanks for the follow up Phillip. We'd love to see what you do with them if that's in the cards. :good:

PhiS

Reaction score
First name
Philip
Hi Kevin,

This is what they were doing with cocus logs in the seventeenth century. Turned on a man powered lathe and carved. They knew their stuff! Cocuswood Leg.jpg

Nature Man

Reaction score
First name
Chuck
Absolutely gorgeous table leg. What amazing work for those days. Fantastic that you are helping to restore these masterpieces. Would like to see pictures of what you make of the logs. Chuck

PhiS

Reaction score
First name
Philip
I'll certainly do that though it may not be for a while!