phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
This is a very hard, dense wood that, unlike padauk, retains its color with age (it DOES become a DARKER red though). Moderately difficult to work because of the density but the results are worth the effort. Bloodwood usually has a fairly subdued figure (but GREAT color) but occasionally it will show light-colored streaking. This can be seen particular well in my bloodwood item #6

15/16" x 10 3/4" x 28 1/4" This piece has EXCELLENT pronounced figure due to having a lot of the light-colored streaking that is occasionally found in bloodwood. I bought this mostly 'cause it was rarely figured for bloodwood but I was still thinking I'd cut it up for my segmented bowls, as I do with most of the wood I buy, but I've never had the heart to cut it into little pieces since it really should be used in a bigger project that shows off the figure.

Please see http://www.woodbarter.com/showthread.php?tid=90 for my barter interests

[attachment=448]

[attachment=449]

61.jpg

62.jpg

Kevin

Wood is good.
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Paul, I am interested in this piece. I saw it when you posted but got side-tracked (surprise!). I don't know if I have anything you might want but if not would sell this piece to me?

I know you are more interested in trading wood so I will go through what I have but I want to secure this piece somehow.

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Kevin said:
Paul, I am interested in this piece. I saw it when you posted but got side-tracked (surprise!). I don't know if I have anything you might want but if not would sell this piece to me?

I know you are more interested in trading wood so I will go through what I have but I want to secure this piece somehow.

Kevin, I'll sell it if it comes to that, but let's try for a trade. I'm interested in crotches, walnut in particular, but other fairly dark woods as well. If that doesn't work, maybe a selection of domestic pieces that would extend my site pics (maybe we can find some that you have that I don't have much of).

Kevin

Wood is good.
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
phinds said:
Kevin said:

Kevin, I'll sell it if it comes to that, but let's try for a trade. I'm interested in crotches, walnut in particular, but other fairly dark woods as well. If that doesn't work, maybe a selection of domestic pieces that would extend my site pics (maybe we can find some that you have that I don't have much of).

I have something in mind I will post a pic in a few (hours not minutes. Hours not days. :biggrin: )

Kevin

Wood is good.
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
This is a walnut crotch blank 9 x 9 x 3. it has a couple small cracks where I've highlighted, but they'll turn out. Also this is a little less wood than what you're offering so I'll throw something else in there if you want this piece.

[attachment=1930]

[attachment=1931]

[attachment=1932]

[attachment=1933]

[attachment=1934]

[attachment=1935]

[attachment=1936]

[attachment=1937]

WalnutCrotchBlank1.jpg

WalnutCrotchBlank2.jpg

WalnutCrotchBlank3.jpg

WalnutCrotchBlank4.jpg

WalnutCrotchBlank5.jpg

WalnutCrotchBlank6.jpg

WalnutCrotchBlank7.jpg

WalnutCrotchBlank8.jpg

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Sounds fair to me and that's a decent chunk of walnut. I know I should have your address but can't put my hand on it at the moment so PM me with it and I'll get the bloodwood packed/shipped. Might take me a day or two to get around to it but it'll happen by Sat.

Kevin

Wood is good.
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
phinds said:
Sounds fair to me and that's a decent chunk of walnut. I know I should have your address but can't put my hand on it at the moment so PM me with it and I'll get the bloodwood packed/shipped. Might take me a day or two to get around to it but it'll happen by Sat.

No hurry on getting it to me. I'll PM & we can exchange addresses. Thanks Paul. :good2:

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
OK, got it to the PO this morning, they said parcel post = 5 to 7 business days so don't hold your breath.

Kevin

Wood is good.
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
phinds said:
OK, got it to the PO this morning, they said parcel post = 5 to 7 business days so don't hold your breath.

Cool. I haven't had a chance to get yours ut yet I'm in betrween log-getting right now. Got to do it while I can more nasty weather heading this way. :negative:

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
no hurry

Kevin

Wood is good.
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
I got this yesterday Paul. This is a very nice piece of wood. Looks better than in the photo. Thanks! :good:

I sent yours priority flat rate because it was less money than parcel (weight) so I tossed some other wood in there to save from using my highly valuable peanuts. :mocking:

I mailed it Tuesday and it should have been there today, but I just looked and it stayed at Coppell overnight. :ireful: It's rare but it happens for some reason. Your tracking number is 9405 5036 9930 0420 1077 53. Sorry for the delay I do not know why it happens sometimes.

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Hey, I'm not in any hurry.

Glad you like the bloodwood. I'm really happy that it'll be put to good use instead of being cut into little pieces for my bowls. Now TELL me you are not going to put it on a shelf and let it gather dust for 6 years ! :nea:

Kevin

Wood is good.
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
phinds said:
... Now TELL me you are not going to put it on a shelf and let it gather dust for 6 years ! :nea:

No it won't even sit for 5 years. :morning2:

I am going to have to rip it though & I really don't wanna. :negative:

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Shame to lose that full cathedral grain but if ya gotta ya gotta.

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Box arrived in good shape. Really nice walnut --- seems even better than the pics, and your packing peanuts were spectacular. Thanks. :sun_smiley:

Kevin

Wood is good.
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Thanks Paul I rep'd you.

Also I decided not to use the board for the shadow box project because I don't want to rip it. My nephew wants a red tone so I'm going to die some white oak for that and use the Bloodwood for something that doesn't require ripping.
:smile:

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
glad to hear that ... I love that cathedral grain w/ the dark/light striping