**ENDED** figured maple logs

jimmyjames

Reaction score
First name
james
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Kevin said:
Is your mill already done?

Oops I must have missed this question, no not yet, still have to do the matching on the shafts and a couple bearing blocks, then have to get the stock cut and welded for the bed and rails, also have to source some sprockets for the log turned for a number 120 double roller chain, can't seem to find any under $500 a piece....... then I will assemble and test it and then blow it apart, paint it and reassemble it. Also the log deck is going to be an afterthought , I'm going to get the mill done and then work on the log deck, I have the hydraulic valve and hydraulic motor for it and also the sprockets and chain from a walking floor trailerthat was at the salvage yard, just need to go pick it up. I'm having a guy in Omaha mill these for me, he's milled a lot of lumber and also has a log leveler on his mill so when we quarter saw the curly stuff he can get the cut lined up with the pith, he also has an refer but for this stuff I think I will leave the edges intact and trim after drying. In the mean time I did drop off some walnut root blocks to be respawn into boards, found a guy with a giant Laguna band saw, I tell you what that saw is nice, he can shave off an 1/8" veneer without any walk in the blade in a 16" cut

Kevin

Wood is good.
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
I completely forgot I owe you a picture of my live deck. :blush:

ELBeau

Reaction score
First name
Beau
jimmyjames said:
Starting to get anxious..... logs will be here on Monday....can't wait to slice these open! I got a 3rd pallet of curly/fiddle back logs as well, figure goes from bark to pith on both ends of the logs..... does anybody have a time machine I can borrow to take me to Monday?????
So is it Monday yet? :read:

jimmyjames

Reaction score
First name
james
Dang one more day, truck just left Denver, next stop..... our place! Seems the guy on the phone at the freight company didn't know what he was talking about, I was wondering how the shipment was going to go 1200 miles in a day..... I will have some pictures up tomorrow! Will be milling them Saturday or sunday

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Now in unison- WE WANT PICTURES- WE WA.......... sorry I just could not resist - With the weather we are having they might be dry by the time ya get them- hot and dry............

jimmyjames

Reaction score
First name
james
Its been rather hot here as well except for today, walked out the door this morning and it was 63 degrees.... still only 78 right now.... when I talked to the shipping company the guys that shipped the pallet didn't weigh it correctly, weighs 6060 lbs instead of the told 5100, hope the guys don't rape me for being over weight... the guy at the shipping company said it shoulddnt be a problem.

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
jimmyjames said:
Its been rather hot here as well except for today, walked out the door this morning and it was 63 degrees.... still only 78 right now.... when I talked to the shipping company the guys that shipped the pallet didn't weigh it correctly, weighs 6060 lbs instead of the told 5100, hope the guys don't rape me for being over weight... the guy at the shipping company said it shoulddnt be a problem.

95 and 19 RH very very dry in eastern Wash.........

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
jimmyjames said:
Dang you could kiln lumber by just setting it outside.....

If I shut the door on the green house and shut off the fan I could sterilize in there. I have solar pool heater on roof and temps there get to 130. high mountain desert. 14.5 " rain a yr- mostly white rain. :rotflmao3::rotflmao3:

jimmyjames

Reaction score
First name
james
Dang, have to wait 1 more day! Dang shipment went line haul from Denver to Kansas city, then Kansas city to Omaha......... and line hauls only run at night so won't be here till tomorrow morning....... I'm about to pull my hair out that I don't have!

Kevin

Wood is good.
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
I'm starting to think you're pulling our legs. There's no maple logs. I bet you aren't even building a mill. You're pulling those pictures off page 57 of a google image search. I bet jimmy james doesn't even exist. You're a 9 year old computer whiz kid taking us along for a ride. :sarcastic:

jimmyjames

Reaction score
First name
james
Kevin said:
I'm starting to think you're pulling our legs. There's no maple logs. I bet you aren't even building a mill. You're pulling those pictures off page 57 of a google image search. I bet jimmy james doesn't even exist. You're a 9 year old computer whiz kid taking us along for a ride. :sarcastic:

I wish that was the case........ if it was my stomach wouldn't be doing summer saults from anticipation......:lol:

Kevin

Wood is good.
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
I bet it really is killing you. Have you been seeing that first slab coming off showing the tightest curls you ever seen, then waking up and saying "On man! Another dream I thought it was real!" ?

Sometimes when I'm milling a log I just know is gonna be awesome, I can't wait to take the jacket off in thin usable flitches so I'll just whack off a 3 or 4" slab right away to get a good look. :treehugger:

jimmyjames

Reaction score
First name
james
OK now I'm getting pissed, still not here, went to des Moines instead of Omaha last night.... it went fromwWashington to Montana, Montana to Denver, Denver to Kansas city and now Kansas city to des Moines? What the h-e-double hockey sticks...... its doing loopy loops around the country...... going on 11 days now since they picked it up...... I called and they tell me its going to Omaha tonight..... that's what they told me last Friday and would be able to pick it up Monday, then told me that again on Tuesday, Wednesday and now today..... I'm about to drive to des Moines and pick it up.... if they don't make it right with me I will never do business with them again, I paid for guaranteed 5 day shipping as well..... which would have been a delivery of Monday......

Kevin

Wood is good.
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
It sounds like it's on a truck that takes loads from a freight broker and he's just picking up every little run he can along the way. That's the only reason I can think of for the 'run-around'. At least your logs are becoming well seasoned travelers. So they will already be 'seasoned' when you get them. :pleasantry:

rdnkmedic

WB Addict
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
We are all waiting on these logs to arrive at their new home. Unbelievable what you are having to go through. How soon will the truck line reimburse you for the extra shipping cost that you paid for? I would be jumping up and down on somebody's desk. Someone at that truck line can get this fixed. I ran a large shipping operation for a number of years before my mid life career change. Is it a national carrier or some local independent trucker?