**ENDED** Looking for Alaskan yellow cedar to buy/trade

Eric Rorabaugh

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Eric
I got a piece of Koa for a friend that makes box calls on here a while back. I'm taking it and some other stuff I have for him on Thursday. Does anyone have any clear 2x2×10 Alaskan yellow cedar they wanna sell or trade for? It was another wood he wants to try. Grain needs to be like either of the bottom pics on the photo attached

FYAJ3G4J1QP4UIG.jpg

Arn213

craM de la craM # RipJack City!
Reaction score
First name
Arn
I know I am teasing you, but I do and just don’t have immediate access to it- I have a handful billets which are 800 years old (storm salvaged) with very, very fine grain, quarter sawn (4-6” wide 24-36” long and 2” thick). Highly resonant.

@Mike1950

Port oford option?
Western Red Cedar option?
Sitka spruce option?
Engelmann spruce option?
Adirondack red spruce as an option?
European spruce?
Leyland Cypress?
Monterey Cypress?
Redwood?

Last edited:

Eric Rorabaugh

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Eric
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
:ponder:
No idea about those. He said he wanted to try yellow cedar.
Now on to the teasing....you can't do that. You need to have access to any and all woods in storage! C'mon man. Lol. I can't say anything. I can't hardly get in my shop much less find something

Arn213

Reaction score
First name
Arn
My bad. I gave those species list out as Alaskan yellow cedar is used as a soundboard- 80 percent on that list is used for that as well. If someone here does not have it, try Leyland Cypress (it is a hybrid between Alaskan Yellow Cedar and Monterey Cypress) or Monterey cypress. I am trying to find something close in average dried weight per board foot, janka hardness. etc. (mechanical properties) that is in sync with Alaskan Yellow Cedar.

rob3232

Reaction score
First name
Rob
@Eric Rorabaugh I have Redwood both quartered and rift sawn in that size if it works for him?? Just throwing it out there bud.:whatever:

Arn213

Reaction score
First name
Arn
Well, well……….did I somewhat help redeem myself for the temporary “goof off” (cough, cough)? Thanks for the $ave @rob3232 ! :mad: :punish:………..:greeting:

I am sure there is a combined resonant value on the box call combo the same way a guitar top/body reacts to each other. So I hopefully I made up for my “goof off” as redwood and koa is actually a complimentary ingredient. Not mine and wanted to show for reference………….

834E06EC-9A44-4CDF-9973-15D8FF74DD56.jpeg

Last edited:

rob3232

Reaction score
First name
Rob
This piece is 3 x 3 x 12. $9 plus $9 shipping. I would have to trim to ship in a PFRE. Probably some room for other tone wood that size??

E8B25552-EE40-4D1C-A541-46D05270DD52.jpeg

0397EECD-5CD4-4703-A0EE-EE96A262AA56.jpeg

8E3C2379-13C1-4AA1-ACE1-55A6C5B51779.jpeg

C00FCFDF-B52E-43BA-92FD-D494A9336820.jpeg

Eric Rorabaugh

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Eric
I'll take it what else you have rift sawn that we could fill it up with? No need to ship air. Lol

Barb

Reaction score
First name
Barbara
Sorry Eric. I don't have any of that but I can call the local sawmill tomorrow and see if they do.

Eric Rorabaugh

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Eric
Thanks @Barb but I don't need that much. Cost more for you to go buy there than what I need.

rob3232

Reaction score
First name
Rob
@Eric Rorabaugh I cut the Redwood to 2x2x10 and can probably fit four pieces this size into an envelope. Some options to fill are:

Rift or quartered olive grain White Ash

Quartered Cherry

Rift Hickory

Quartered curly Red Leaf Maple

Rift or quartered Kentucky Coffee Tree

Let me know if any of these interest your friend and I will post pictures and prices.

Eric Rorabaugh

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Eric
How about the same size of the red leaf maple and rift coffee tree? So 3 total. Let me know what the damage is

rob3232

Reaction score
First name
Rob
How about $18 plus shipping? If that works I'll cut them tomorrow and post pictures.

Barb

Reaction score
First name
Barbara
Thanks @Barb but I don't need that much. Cost more for you to go buy there than what I need.
It wouldn't have cost me much at all since I used to work there but he didn't have any unfortunately. I had to check just to make sure. I did get a nice chunk of wood that I'll post in the free wood section. :)

Bill12035

Reaction score
First name
William
It wouldn't have cost me much at all since I used to work there but he didn't have any unfortunately. I had to check just to make sure. I did get a nice chunk of wood that I'll post in the free wood section. :)

@Barb Where's the "Free" wood section?

Last edited: