ENDED Mahogany bowl blank

Jonkou

Member
Full Member
Messages
3,006
Reaction score
8,620
Location
Alton Bay NH
First name
John
Earl@Greenacres2 has dibs

Roughed out defect free bowl with the waste block attached (no faceplate). First time turning big Mahog and was excited to get started on it today, it’s gonna make a very nice bowl but as I was turning in my usual fashion became sneezy with itchy eyes. Dont know for sure it’s the wood but not worth taking a chance or the aggravation for me to continue. Had a similar reaction to cocobolo a few years ago and got rid of all the tropical hardwoods I had as a precaution, adding Mahog to the list. Can calculate USPS shipping at 12 lbs in a 14.5x14x6” box from 03810 NH. $25 cash or check only plus shipping.

IMG_2679_Original.jpeg IMG_2683_Original.jpeg IMG_2684_Original.jpeg IMG_8560.jpeg IMG_8558.jpeg IMG_8557.jpeg IMG_8559.jpeg
 
Last edited:
It’s probably because of the silica content as this is dense and heavy for mahogany- you can see the white stuff embedded in the pores. You also have this on dense rosewood, they look like fine diamond particles that is more glassy and you also see this on pernambuco. I always use a respirator and make sure my neck, arms and hands are covered when processing species that has these elements into the surface and core.
 
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #4
Makes sense, was wearing a smock with NIOSH N-95 vented respirator, glasses, faceshield and space air filter running as usual but still got to me. Cleaned up the shop then did a Neil med sinus rinse, shower and antihistamine eye drops. No more symptoms but don’t want to mess with it anymore, not worth it when I have plenty of other wood to play with.
 
Makes sense, was wearing a smock with NIOSH N-95 vented respirator, glasses, faceshield and space air filter running as usual but still got to me. Cleaned up the shop then did a Neil med sinus rinse, shower and antihistamine eye drops. No more symptoms but don’t want to mess with it anymore, not worth it when I have plenty of other wood to play with.
So far, the only wood I’ve had a reaction to was Bocote. Made me break out in a rash. Chuck
 
Is this true (Honduran) mahogany or African mahogany? If true I’ll take it.
 
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #8
It is not African Mahog, very dense and believe it to be true Honduran. Yours David, pm sent
 
Last edited:
Great!!! Calculate shipping to 77833 and I'll get a check off to you on Monday.
 
Back
Top