**ENDED** Powermatic Extension for

stwoodturner

Become comfortable with being uncomfortable.
Reaction score
First name
Scott
This cast iron extension for the Powermatic 3520B lathe. When mounted level with the lathe bed, it increases bed length by 18". It can be mounted in lower position for outboard turning, but you will need an extension post (not included) to raise the toolrest to centerline. Screws to bolt the extension are also not included.

Price is $125 for the extension plus shipping. Shipping will be calculated based upon your location.

upload_2020-4-29_19-4-14.png

barry richardson

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Barry
I bought my lathe used and it came with this extension, I didn't think I needed it but it was part of the deal. Some time later I needed to turn a long piece and bolted it on, now I will never take it off. Having that extra bed length, I can slide my tailstock back out of the way without having to take it off for hollowing, kinda glad I have it now. Good luck on your sales, seems like shipping will be a killer though, those suckers are heavy, will probably have to be shipped on a pallet...

jasonb

Sawdust = man glitter
Reaction score
First name
Jason
Probably going to be cost prohibitive for me due to shipping, but any idea on a shipping cost to 78660?

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
Guys, my suggestion is to check with Greyhound. My understanding is they are pretty cheap. Not the fastest but I doubt that matters in this case.

Maverick

Reaction score
First name
John
I bought my lathe used and it came with this extension, I didn't think I needed it but it was part of the deal.

That is exactly my same situation but it has been sitting under the lathe because the prior owner didn't know where the bolts were. Maybe I should take the time to get the bolts and put mine own. Thanks for your comment Barry.

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
That is exactly my same situation but it has been sitting under the lathe because the prior owner didn't know where the bolts were. Maybe I should take the time to get the bolts and put mine own. Thanks for your comment Barry.

Screenshot_20200430-140803_Drive.jpg

Maverick

Reaction score
First name
John
Thanks Tony, well they aren't cheap, but they do carry a lot of weight so I shouldn't be surprised.

barry richardson

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Barry
I didn't have the bolts either but I dug around and found some, they are way longer than I needed, planned on getting the proper ones, but haven't yet...

stwoodturner

Reaction score
First name
Scott
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I would keep it.
Normally, I would agree with you. However, I have absolutely no use for it. As you can see in the photos attached, I can't bolt it on my PM. I attached an outboard turning system on my PM. Hopefully, the extension will find a new home and be used.

VM1.jpg

VM2.jpg

barry richardson

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Barry
Thanks Tony, well they aren't cheap, but they do carry a lot of weight so I shouldn't be surprised.
They are standard bolts, just go to Ace hardware, don't let those bandits at e-replacement parts take your money...

stwoodturner

Reaction score
First name
Scott
The quote I received from FEDEX was $85-$90 to 78660. This is a weight of approx. 60lbs, double boxed with padding. I would consider $200 for the extension and shipping, if this would work for you.

jasonb

Sawdust = man glitter
Reaction score
First name
Jason
The quote I received from FEDEX was $85-$90 to 78660. This is a weight of approx. 60lbs, double boxed with padding. I would consider $200 for the extension and shipping, if this would work for you.
Let's do it! Hard to pass that up. I will send you a PM with my info.

Maverick

Reaction score
First name
John
Nice job guys. Glad that worked out. Scott sorry for hijacking your post in the middle, but the bright side is we kept your post going in the "New Posts" section. :wink:

stwoodturner

Reaction score
First name
Scott
Nice job guys. Glad that worked out. Scott sorry for hijacking your post in the middle, but the bright side is we kept your post going in the "New Posts" section. :wink:
No worries, keep me honest with these posts. New at this and don't want to intentionally break the rules!

Maverick

Reaction score
First name
John
No rules broken that I saw. The good thing is there aren't too many rules; but the ones that the forum has I think are good ones and help keep the forum friendly and above board. I have only been on here a little over a year, but it is by far my favorite forum of the 3 or 4 that I am a member of. Looking forward to seeing the end product of some of those bowls and vessels you have started.