**ENDED** question about trading wood

kweinert

Reaction score
First name
Ken
I hope this is the right place for this - if not please move it to the appropriate place.

I'll start out by saying I don't actually have anything to trade in this thread.

I got an emailed advertisement from Tropical Exotic Hardwoods today that they have bundles of 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 x 12" bocote on sale. The price there, with shipping, probably puts that at about $3.50 to $4.00 per piece (rough guess on shipping added to bundle cost.)

My question is this - does it make any sense at all to pay for someone's sale wood with the intention of reselling/trading? Sure, it's possible that I'd have a use for a few of these myself but is there a market (sale or trade) that would help the hobby/obsession at least pay for itself?

I am not in a position like a lot of members here are to start out with urban wood and do the initial processing (at least not yet) so I wonder about the sort of thing I describe here.

Sure, the principle of 'buy low, sell high' could work out well - but it doesn't matter how low you buy if there's no one to sell to.

Your thoughts are more than welcome. Thank you in advance.

txpaulie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
I see no reason not to obtain something with the intent to trade for something else down the line...

This is "Wood-Barter"!:drinks:

I'm petty sure that if you have something that somebody else wants, they'll trade you something that you want, if'n they've got it!

Worst case, you've got wood!:biggrin:

I do believe that it would be unwise to buy low here and then offer the same item elsewhere, at a tidy profit...

I suspect that it may fly a few times, but not worth having to explain to the elders, if challenged...

p

kweinert

Reaction score
First name
Ken
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
txpaulie said:
I do believe that it would be unwise to buy low here and then offer the same item elsewhere, at a tidy profit...

I suspect that it may fly a few times, but not worth having to explain to the elders, if challenged...

p

Oh no, that thought never even entered my mind. Buying from a commercial place for later reselling is much different than buying/bartering with friends and then profiting.

Thanks for mentioning that aspect (since it hadn't occurred to me) so I could clear that up.

txpaulie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
kweinert said:
txpaulie said:

p

Oh no, that thought never even entered my mind. Buying from a commercial place for later reselling is much different than buying/bartering with friends and then profiting.

Thanks for mentioning that aspect (since it hadn't occurred to me) so I could clear that up.

No implication meant there, jus' sayin'...:good:

I don't think anybody here would have a problem with trading for an item you bought, regardless of the price you paid...

Not significantly different than trading found, or harvested, wood...

Two willing traders, or a willing buyer and seller, make this place tick.:biggrin:

IMHO.

p