**ENDED** Rockbs Turkey Sandwich Pot Calls

rockb

rockbswesternwoods.com
In Memoriam
Messages
801
Reaction score
771
Location
Redding, CA
First name
Rocky
Hi Guys, I didn't know what else to name these call blanks since I haven't seen any turkey pot calls made like these. They don't appear to me to be like the "segmented" calls I've seen online....they look more like they've been "sandwiched" together in layers. Soooo, I've named 'em Rockbs Turkey Sandwich Pot Calls..... Kinda wierd but it fits.

I came up with the idea out of necessity. I"ve got lots of thin wood, too thin to make a pot call but those little pieces are too pretty to put in the "what the heck do I do with these" box. Got plenty of those boxes in the shop already. : ( I've also got an abundance of walnut....great wood but not eye popping. Figured if I could make a pretty "bottom" with the buckeye or redwood or manzanita, the walnut body would give a good base for the slate, etc..... So, I glued a few pieces together (titebond glue) and came up with what you see below.

Also, spent a few bucks on a couple bottles of Alumilite......had the thought of filling voids on some of my local woods, like buckeye and manzanita, after gluing them to a block and seeing how they look. The block below, BC10, is my first experiment. I think I'm gonna like the results as soon as my learning curve flattens out a bit. This one has a few bubbles. You can see 'em in the pics, I'm hoping a drop of CA might erase them after sanding/finishing.

There are more pics on my website of these pieces and some others: http://www.rockbswesternwoods.com/game-calls.html

Okay, enough chat...here they be:

BC10, $12.50. Buckeye burl and black walnut turkey pot call. Measures 1 1/4 thick x 4" wide. Alumilite "filler" has some air bubbles showing.....if you're into "perfection"....maybe let this one go. ; ) Pricing this one the same as the plain blocks below 'cause this is my first one. Hope to get the "bubble" thing figured out as Alumilite is sorta spendy.

[attachment=10444]

BC11, $12.50. Buckeye burl and black walnut turkey pot call. Measures 1 3/16 thick x 4" wide.

[attachment=10445]

BC12, $12.50. Buckeye burl and black walnut turkey pot call. Measures 1 1/4 thick x 4" wide.

[attachment=10446]

RC15, $12.50. Redwood lace burl and black walnut turkey pot call. Measures 1 1/4 thick x 4 x 4".

[attachment=10447]

RC17, $12.50 Redwood lace and birdseye burl and black walnut turkey pot call. Measures 1 1/4 thick x 4 x 4".

[attachment=10448]

If you need one or two, a small flat rate box will hold two of 'em @ $5.35. Please respond through WB if you have question/whatever.....and I'll get back to you.
Many thanks to Kevin for the WB and also to you "woodies" who make it fun.
Rocky/rockb

bc10b[1].webp

bc11b[1].webp

bc12b[1].webp

rc15b[1].webp

rc17b[1].webp
 
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #3
Mike Jones said:
These are mighty pretty, Rocky!
Thanks Mike...I stopped by your shop Sat. morning hoping to catch you there....will be in touch....have a good week.
 
I think they are fantastic !! If you will turn on your tablesaw and set the blanks on there with it running, right after your pour your Alumilite, the slight vibration of the saw will bring all the bubbles to the top and they will all go away!! Works great !!!!
 
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #6
shadetree_1 said:
I think they are fantastic !! If you will turn on your tablesaw and set the blanks on there with it running, right after your pour your Alumilite, the slight vibration of the saw will bring all the bubbles to the top and they will all go away!! Works great !!!!

Thanks so much for that tip Joe and I'll sure give that a try next time. Really appreciate the help....willingness to share info with each other is what makes us all love WB ......
Rocky/rockb
 
Back
Top