*Ended* Spalted Hackberry platter blanks

JD1137

Member
Full Member
Messages
2,507
Reaction score
6,460
Location
Illinois
First name
John
Came across some interesting Spalted Maple EDIT -Spalted Hackberry recently and processed a bit of it. These are (3) platter blanks. All (3) - 13”(+) diameter. All 2-2.5” thick. Left them square and end grain sealed, but could cut round, if desired. Asking $40/each plus shipping, but will reduce to $35/each (plus shipping) to a single buyer. My cheapo moisture is pegging them at 20-22%.
Jim @JLTibbetts has first dibs since he’s bought platter blanks from me in the past.
Finally - posting a pic of a 13” roughed out bowl I turned from this stuff the other day. *I will be posting a few bowl blanks as time allows. Hopefully you can read the measurements on pics. Fronts and backs shown.

IMG_6667.jpeg IMG_6668.jpeg IMG_6669.jpeg IMG_6670.jpeg IMG_6671.jpeg IMG_6673.jpeg
 
Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #4
John, nice looking blanks. However, the roughed out bowl looks suspiciously like hackberry to me.
Hey Tim - I was kinda thinking the same thing when I cut it up. The guy I got it from said Maple and when I picked it up the bark looks like Maple so that’s why I think it’s Maple. Hackberry has that knobby bark and this is smooth, like Maple.
I never really looked too close at the end grain. I agree it’s pretty light in color for Spalted Maple?? Attaching pics of bark anyway.

IMG_6658.webp IMG_6657.webp
 
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #6
Agree the bark looks off. I do know that in old hackberry trees the bark ridges flatten out and move closer together. But can't say I've seen any as old/large as what you have, so I have nothing to compare.

The ulmiform bands (at about 10:00 on the bottom of bowl) that are easiest to see in the dark areas say this is hackberry.

Here is a link to hackberry on Paul's site.

Interesting Tim and thanks for the info. I wish I would have taken a photo of the base cut of the tree before it was cut up into pieces.
There were 2 big slices probably close to 4’ diameter. They were basically the trunk flare above the soil line. They were big “old” slices. If it was Hackberry, it was old and big and might explain your point about the bark being smooth rather than bumpy??
I’ll try and get a piece of end grain cleaned up and photographed soon to get a good look.
Thanks!
@Mr. Peet
@phinds
 
John thanks for tagging me in on these.
I'm gonna bow out, but if you find some some maple or walnut this size I'm interested !!
Thanks again !
 
Totally understand the twist, as that bark does look maple like. When you get really big Hackberry, like 5-6' DBH, they sometimes get smooth bark again. Really cool, but really weird as well.
 
Back
Top