phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
I just noticed that my site has only one piece of solid larch (and some veneer) so I'd like to get a variety of other pieces, if someone has a stash available. I don't need anything big. As small as 3"x6'x3/4" would be fine. My main interest is, as I said, variety, especially pieces from different trees. Also, I much prefer seasoned stock, but it's not an absolute requirement.

Here's my list of stuff for trade:

http://woodbarter.com/Thread-LIST-OF-WOODS-FOR-TRADE-phinds

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Paul, are we talking western Larch ( tamarack) If so I will find and send you what ever you want for postage. It is very available here. If you buy lumber It will be very hard to know that you are getting larch. It is combined stamped at the mill (fir/larch) very different trees but also very similar wood. Let me know, Mike

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Mike1950 said:
Paul, are we talking western Larch ( tamarack) If so I will find and send you what ever you want for postage. It is very available here. If you buy lumber It will be very hard to know that you are getting larch. It is combined stamped at the mill (fir/larch) very different trees but also very similar wood. Let me know, Mike

AH ... thanks ... I should have specifically said that I would be most appreciative of pieces that are (1) KNOWN to be larch [because I'm aware of the problem you mention] and (2) even better, known to be a particular species, or at least a generic subset such as Western larch.

So, yeah that would be great and if anyone has any well identified larch OTHER than Western, I'd be interested in that too.

Thanks,

Paul

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Paul- it will be the real stuff cause- I do know the difference, it will have some bark cause I will be digging it out of a firewood pile.................. Might take a little bit because everyone's pile is very small now. You usually do not really have a time constraint. I also will keep my eye out for old growth sample. Might be this summer when I am fishing with grankids. The old growth is much darker and dense.

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Mike1950 said:
Paul- it will be the real stuff cause- I do know the difference, it will have some bark cause I will be digging it out of a firewood pile.................. Might take a little bit because everyone's pile is very small now. You usually do not really have a time constraint. I also will keep my eye out for old growth sample. Might be this summer when I am fishing with grankids. The old growth is much darker and dense.

That's fine. I'm not in any hurry. My backlog of stuff to do for the site would take about 3 years of full-time effort. :-/

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
This "trade" was completed very successfully. Mike sent me some larch and a couple other woods besides and all I had to do was pay postage. What a great guy !

The results are shown here:

http://woodbarter.com/showthread.php?tid=3897

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
phinds said:
This "trade" was completed very successfully. Mike sent me some larch and a couple other woods besides and all I had to do was pay postage. What a great guy !

The results are shown here:

http://woodbarter.com/showthread.php?tid=3897

Paul, Hell I was going to burn it. Did not pay much attention to the cedar- do you want some that is not so wormy and are there any other woods from here you need, Mike.

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Mike,

The wormyness is not a problem the grain is VERY clear in the pics and that all I care about since it allows folks to use my pics to ID wood.

What other woods DO you have available?

Paul

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
phinds said:
Mike,

The wormyness is not a problem the grain is VERY clear in the pics and that all I care about since it allows folks to use my pics to ID wood.

What other woods DO you have available?

Paul

If we are patient- Our native Mountain ash, white fir , Idaho white pine, Engelman spruce, alpine fir, western maple( not big leave), Lodge pole pine, ponderosa pine are what I can think of off the top of my head. These would all be available in the area that I live.

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
I'm sure I can use some of these. I'll check my site and get back to you.

Thanks

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Paul, I am more than willing to help- just let me know what you need and I will add to available speices as I remember. You do the whole industry a service. :yipee::yipee::yipee::good2:

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Service berry- kinda like hawthorne but with berries. Elderberry- I am not sure if tree or bush- big for a bush though.

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Mike,

I checked what I have/need/want, and it looks like I can use any of the ones you named. Naturally, I'll take whatever you have and can get over time, but my preferences are like this:

high priority:
Engleman spruce
lodge pole pine
ponderosa pine

medium:
Idaho white pine
western maple
Canadian sitka spruce
serviceberry

low:
mountain ash
white fir
alpine fir
elderberry

Most important to me is that you be sure that whatever you send really is what you think it is. The last thing I want to do is post something on my site that is not correct.

Also, if you happen to know species names that would be great since several of those woods have several different species that use the common name.

I'm not in any hurry, so if you can put up a box of some of these, let's talk size/shape if you have any options.

Thanks,

Paul

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Paul, I live in a Ponderosa pine forest- I cannot look out of a window without seeing a 2-3 footer. All but the sitka will come to me in tree- not lumber form. I will make sure you get what I state it is.

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Sounds good. Another thing to keep in mind is that I do NOT have bandsaw (well, I have a littly dinky one, but it hardly counts) so cannot resaw big pieces without considerable effort. "Big in this context is anything over about 5 1/2" which I can just manage w/ my RAS (two cuts)

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Those were big pieces I sent you- sorry- Next time I will ask what size is Ideal. -I have right now the PPine and the sitka. Let me know what size is Ideal. I cut the Larch and the birch out of firewood on the bandsaw. I could have with no extra time cut them to desired size. I have a fill the box to the max mentalty which sometimes is in error. :wacko1::wacko1: