**ENDED** Who has the stones to turn this?

Kevin

Wood is good.
Founding Member
In Memoriam
Messages
30,914
Reaction score
37,294
Location
Texas
First name
Kevin
I'm not selling much wood this summer because I'm focusing on other things, but occasionally I can't help it. This is the last piece of a cant that went for big bucks to a customer, and I set this aside for myself. But it'll be a while before I get a larger lathe - just not priority right now.

[attachment=8562]

[attachment=8563]

[attachment=8564]

[attachment=8565]

This blank is dry. Has an off-center pith void running from end to end as you can see, is spalted, has lots of color, some curl, and will sparkle with chatoyance. You only need two things to turn this into a work of art:

  1. Big stones
  2. Lots of experience
  3. $50 + shipping
  4. Your name doesn't start with Greg

Okay so four things. And no it's not a misprint I said $50. But only to an experienced turner please. Someone who has a pretty good shot at doing it justice - not blowing it up. That ain't me. Please do not buy this if you plan to resaw into pen blanks. I don't usually care what you do with your wood once you pay for it, but this one is special and I want to see it as a hollow form, bowl, vase, something like that.

Honor system. :irishjig:

:greeting:

:greeting:

VBHF1.webp

VBHF2.webp

VBHF3.webp

VBHF4.webp
 
I got the stones but I am lacking in the skills and a lathe with proper clearance and power. I need to get my hollower back out and try again. Had a lot of blow outs and forced me to put it away.
 
It looks like the piece you sent me for the suspended hollow vessel that I turned and is tagged and bagged for drying, this one is a little smaller and shorter. I would like to hollow it but I am out of comission for awhile:sad: But I bet roy or dkmd or rbaccus could do it justice. I would love to see what they could do with it, hint hint:sarcastic:
 
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #6
jimmythewoodworker said:
... I may not be able to help myself ...

You better find a photography school that will offer you a scholarship too then, because pictures are part of the deal. :mocking:

:rotflmao3::rotflmao3::rotflmao3:

:lol::lol::lol:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

:rotflmao3::rotflmao3::rotflmao3:
 
Unlike Chris, I am sure that my lathe could handle a blank of this size, but sadly, I am lacking the requisite stones...:pleasantry:

I think my wife has them in her purse.:i_dunno:

p:hi2:
 
Great looking blank! Unfortunately, I'm out on this one... I'll be spending the bulk of my shop allowance on AC repair and saving up pennies for the SWAT vendor area. I am glad to see the photo requirement 'cause I want to see this mutha round and finished!
 
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #9
txpaulie said:
I think my wife has them in her purse.

You too, huh. Watchya doing tonight? I thought maybe we could we commiserate if you're not too busy.


:teethlaugh:
 
Honey can I borrow my stones? I'm going out with the boys tonight and their all taking theirs:sarcastic:
 
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #11
Greg if you got one that looked like that with the spalting and off-center pith void, that explains me not being able to find it. The voids were on the end of the butt log and and I kept those, and sold the rest of the solid part of the cant.

You don't know how long I looked for the one you have (if you have it) because I thought I still had it.

:wacko3:
 
Kevin said:
Greg if you got one that looked like that with the spalting and off-center pith void, that explains me not being able to find it. The voids were on the end of the butt log and and I kept those, and sold the rest of the solid part of the cant.

You don't know how long I looked for the one you have (if you have it) because I thought I still had it.

:wacko3:
Funny! Remember we traded for the straight finishing chisel? Look in the general wood turning section to see the blank and see if that was it. Guys if the blank Kevin is selling is from the same log it will be spectacular.
I was thinking about buying this one just to piss my wife off and make Kevin wait for weeks or months to see it, till my arm heals and I could turn it:sarcastic:
 
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #13
woodtickgreg said:
...
I was thinking about buying this one just to piss my wife off and make Kevin wait for weeks or months to see it, till my arm heals and I could turn it:sarcastic:

Oh my, I guess you didn't notice requirement #4 in the OP. :dunno:


:rofl2:

:sarcastic:
 
Ha Ha Ha! I do believe I have been zinged.......again.:hi2:
 
What's the deal? I figured the heavy hitters would be jumping all over this item.
A doc with no money(sounds like an oxymoron)?
A cat without 61.00 for a beautiful piece of wood?
A clever cajun who can spin while huffing camphor fumes?
How about it Vern?
:davidguil:
 
davidgiul said:
What's the deal? I figured the heavy hitters would be jumping all over this item.
A doc with no money(sounds like an oxymoron)?
A cat without 61.00 for a beautiful piece of wood?
A clever cajun who can spin while huffing camphor fumes?
How about it Vern?
:davidguil:
Jimmy will bite, he has no will power when it comes to beautiful wood!:sarcastic:
 
NYWoodturner said:
Kevin;
I can't pass up a challenge. PM me your Pay Pal. zip is 10998.
Scott
And we have a winner:yipee:
 
Back
Top