EOD Ball Auction Pen - Last minute Questions

Diver Temple

Reaction score
First name
Mo
I know some of you remember when I started this several month back. I didn't get any volunteers for casting so I finally got around to getting my own stuff together, which is actually better for me and my want-to-do-it-all mentality. From start to almost finish, I think it turned out pretty well. I had to expand the bullet pen casting mold a little to accommodate the modified inlay kit, but the Liquid Diamonds came out like glass - so far.

Questions for someone who cast with Liquid Diamonds: is it prone to chipping or cracking when turning it to shape? Best tools for turning that you like? Normally I angle skew to round and then side scrape with skew to finish out the shaping. Any tips or cautions would be appreciated.

It is being donated for auction at the EOD Ball in May in Hawaii with proceeds going to the EOD Warriors Foundation. I would hate to get this far and blow it... but I guess the is plenty of time to start over if I do. :whatever:

EOD Ball Grenade1.jpg
EOD Ball Grenade.jpg EOD Grenade Pen3.jpg
Ginger's EOD in work1.jpg Ginger's EOD Auction.jpg

Last edited:

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
I can only offer the usual suggestion...Sharp tools, turn at a normally high rpm, and light cuts.

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
Oh, and next time, make more than one of the same blank. Just in case.

Diver Temple

Reaction score
First name
Mo
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Oh, and next time, make more than one of the same blank. Just in case.
I do have a back up inlay kit so I can duplicate if necessary...Hoping for the best and a different use for the inlay after this one comes out perfect. Thank you!

Gdurfey

Reaction score
First name
Garry
Same as Troy. I also tried the negative rake Easy Wood Tool cutter and really like it. Have not used it as much as others on here, but so far so good.

Diver Temple

Reaction score
First name
Mo
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thank you @Gdurfey and @T.Ben I need to look up negative rake carbides. I think I have a couple of carbides, but not sure about negative rake... I appreciate the tips!