Figured/Curly Maple bowl set

JD1137

Member
Full Member
Messages
2,500
Reaction score
6,446
Location
Illinois
First name
John
Another set of bowls salvaged from a log at the firewood business. Cored with my Oneway system. Finished with Walnut Oil.

Biggest bowl is 11 x 4” then 8x 3” and the little guy is 4.5 x 1.5”

This wood has crazy nice figure, and the wood is solid, but on the cusp of being almost gone if it sat any longer, either firewood, or rot.

IMG_0657.webp IMG_0657.webp IMG_0660.webp IMG_0665.webp
 
John, these are really, really nice!

I really love seeing all a completed projects that you and everyone post, they are great inspiration to me.

I think the matching set is really fantastic, and the little one really makes it complete. Nice!
 
Another set of bowls salvaged from a log at the firewood business. Cored with my Oneway system. Finished with Walnut Oil.

Biggest bowl is 11 x 4” then 8x 3” and the little guy is 4.5 x 1.5”

This wood has crazy nice figure, and the wood is solid, but on the cusp of being almost gone if it sat any longer, either firewood, or rot.

View attachment 293730View attachment 293731View attachment 293732View attachment 293733
That looks beautiful, I just got a coring tool and have yet to use it, but this is inspiring, thanks
 
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #11
That looks beautiful, I just got a coring tool and have yet to use it, but this is inspiring, thanks
Curious what type of coring system you purchsed Theodore? If it's a Oneway and you have any questions, you could start a new thread. I'd be happy to try and offer you some guidance if you run into any issues. JD
 
Really nice work. I’ve been looking at various threads on the AAW site and it seems that Oneway is the best coring system. What are your thoughts about the system?
 
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #13
Really nice work. I’ve been looking at various threads on the AAW site and it seems that Oneway is the best coring system. What are your thoughts about the system?
I've had the Oneway (bought used) for a few years and it works flawlessly. I bought the Hunter Korpro carbide cutter, for the Oneway rig, as soon as I bought the Oneway system and have never looked back. My opinion is bite the bullet and purchase the Korpro cutter ($200).

I also saw (this summer) a "tabletop demo" of the new Robust System and it looks impressive. I also have a friend with the Woodcut System who likes it a lot.

All 3 of these systems have what I call a "predictable arc" and are all relatively easy to use.

Finally, I know a couple local turners who have the McNaughton and they are happy with that system. I've cored a bowl with it without any problem. A little longer learning curve and a more "unpredictable arc". More options for the person doing the coring. Having said that, I don't think you can buy a McNaughton System new anymore. I've heard the owner retired and I don't think it's being manufactured "at this time", although it may again in the future.
 
I've had the Oneway (bought used) for a few years and it works flawlessly. I bought the Hunter Korpro carbide cutter, for the Oneway rig, as soon as I bought the Oneway system and have never looked back. My opinion is bite the bullet and purchase the Korpro cutter ($200).

I also saw (this summer) a "tabletop demo" of the new Robust System and it looks impressive. I also have a friend with the Woodcut System who likes it a lot.

All 3 of these systems have what I call a "predictable arc" and are all relatively easy to use.

Finally, I know a couple local turners who have the McNaughton and they are happy with that system. I've cored a bowl with it without any problem. A little longer learning curve and a more "unpredictable arc". More options for the person doing the coring. Having said that, I don't think you can buy a McNaughton System new anymore. I've heard the owner retired and I don't think it's being manufactured "at this time", although it may again in the future.
That summarizes what I’ve read—longer learning curve for McNaughton and Korpro needed for Oneway. Thanks.
 
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #16
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #17
That summarizes what I’ve read—longer learning curve for McNaughton and Korpro needed for Oneway. Thanks.
Oneway also has carbide cutter option available now (previously only HSS cutters), so another thing to consider if going with Oneway.
 
Back
Top