First pit stop... yippy spring is here

rob3232

Reaction score
First name
Rob
After a long winter with too much time on my hands I finally made it to a pit. (sand pit where they sort sand from river rock) Spent about a hour and a half and found these lakers(lake superior agates) I'm getting excited to start the tumblers back up.

IMG_2470.JPG

Thanks for looking;) Rob

Final Strut

Wood Butcher Extraordinaire
Reaction score
First name
Scott
Very cool Rob. We haven't for a couple years now but we usually go up and spend a long weekend on the north shore. We have spent time picking rock up there but I never know what I am looking for so I am sure I have walked over hundreds of agates up there.

Kevin

Wood is good.
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
That is SOOO cool. I wish we had such pretty rocks here - what a great hobby. If I lived near you Rob you'd definitely have a rockhound buddy to hunt with.

gman2431

Reaction score
First name
cody
Nice haul!

I was a huge rock tumbler as a kid and loved finding rocks in the UP on superior and also petoskey stones down here.

They make some incredible jewelry.

rob3232

Reaction score
First name
Rob
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
What do you do with them after they are polished?

Initially, I told my wife I would sell them to justify buying the tumblers,grit,etc. But what has happened is that I save my favorites to display around the house and between myself,wife,mom,and daughter we give most of them away.

rob3232

Reaction score
First name
Rob
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Here are a few of my favorites.

Some nice ones that I like as I found them.

IMG_2474.JPG

Eye agates

IMG_2478.JPG

Nice polished pieces

IMG_2479.JPG

Petrified wood. ( I wish I had some polished to show. It is really cool!)

IMG_2484.JPG

This is a bowling ball my MIL covered in small agates and gave us as a gift. Like a gazing ball but way cooler.

IMG_2485.JPG

This actually a fossil. I had no idea what it was but a lap guy I talked with called it Mary Ellen Jasper. I looked it up and sure enough. Not rare except to me. The interesting thing about it is that it may be older than :old: at over 2.5 billion years.:sofa:

IMG_2486.JPG

I'll probably post more pics here down the road. I think Chuck summed it up perfect for my liking the rocks/wood.

thrainson

Reaction score
First name
joseph
After a long winter with too much time on my hands I finally made it to a pit. (sand pit where they sort sand from river rock) Spent about a hour and a half and found these lakers(lake superior agates) I'm getting excited to start the tumblers back up.

View attachment 76242

Thanks for looking;) Rob
Where do you get your polishing sand from? This reminds me of good times when I was younger... Very pretty stones!

ClintW

Reaction score
First name
Clinton
Amazing stones! I have never hunted for agates around Superior, but it looks like I should start!

justallan

Reaction score
First name
allan
Beautiful rocks, Rob.
I loved hunting agates on a beach in Northern California near Arcata. It was amazing that whatever time low tide was there could be 100 people of all ages running up and down the beach chasing the waves in and out trying to find them. Very cool memory, thanks.
Any more my girlfriend gets me hunting rocks with her and she has a rock garden that must be a half ton worth of agates mostly.