Fourth guitar - Panama Exocet

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I was going to ask you if you are planning to do any inlays- dots, snowflakes, etc.
I'll give some more thought to doing something I haven't done on the previous guitars. And I don't care for inlays on the face of the fingerboard. I put tiny dots on the bass side of the fingerboard.

Arn213

craM de la craM # RipJack City!
Reaction score
First name
Arn
Found this when I was trying out a couple of guitars. It is a four ply binding b/w/b/w on an ebony board- just subtract the last white inner binding to give you an idea should this be the route you want to take……note the body top perimeter follows the same binding scheme.

IMG_6329.jpeg

Last edited:

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for those pics. It looks there's actually a binding strip around the outside of the fretboard, so the w-b-w is just like purfling inside a binding strip.

Arn213

craM de la craM # RipJack City!
Reaction score
First name
Arn
Thanks for those pics. It looks there's actually a binding strip around the outside of the fretboard, so the w-b-w is just like purfling inside a binding strip.
There is a black binding strip at the outer perimeter of the fretboard. The b/w/b/w are glued up together whereas purfling is inset into a groove or a channel. Kind of does look like purfling. Though with this economy prized guitar they would use plastic all the way through, with middle to higher end they would use higher end woods and seashells (mother of pearl, abalone, paua, etc.) and employ actual purfling. I don’t know how you feel about plastics, but they do crack and shrink over time.