French rolling pins

Jonkou

Reaction score
First name
John
Made these this afternoon... Gallery owner asked me if I’d be interested in making them, quick and easy, they will go to the store this week.

IMG_2091_Original.jpeg

Worked out the design specs and repeat…

IMG_2088_Original.jpeg IMG_2089_Original.jpeg
IMG_2083_Original.jpeg

Wet them to raise the grain and sand to 400

IMG_2090_Original.jpeg IMG_2094_Original.jpeg

Last edited:

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Tell her these are American rolling pins and should work for her every time. Them French ones get so many days for this, that and the other off. Don't want to leave her hanging...

djg

Reaction score
First name
Dan
Just learning, why do you want to raise the grain before sanding?

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
If you raise the grain before sanding, the grain that raises can not do it to the same intensity the next time because you sanded some of it off. Wood used in food prep is constantly exposed to oils and water. Another reason to wet the wood is to see it you have any weak grain attachment. You want to know if you are going to get grain separation before selling or gifting an item, to avoid such issues. Dry wood swells when wetted, it is good to see and feel how it reacts so you can react with action to minimize issue.

Last edited:

Nature Man

Reaction score
First name
Chuck
Made these this afternoon... Gallery owner lost her pins guy so she asked me if I’d be interested, quick and easy, they will go to the store this week.

View attachment 255941

Worked out the design specs and repeat…

View attachment 255948View attachment 255949
View attachment 255952

Wet them to raise the grain and sand to 400

View attachment 255950View attachment 255951
Congrats on the new gig! Rolling pins are a good assembly line project! Yours are first rate! Chuck

Nature Man

Reaction score
First name
Chuck
I routinely wipe down my wood projects with a damp cloth before sanding. Really believe the sanding results in a smoother surface. Chuck

Steve in VA

Reaction score
First name
Steve
Those look great John! Is there a standard dimension of length, diameter, and taper on these or are they all a bit different and unique? I assume they are a consistent diameter in the middle and then just taper on the ends? Or are they slightly tapered along the full length?

I might have to try making one for my Mom. She’s in her low 80’s and still loves to bake, but I’m running out of ideas on what to get her for gifts.

Arn213

craM de la craM # RipJack City!
Reaction score
First name
Arn
Here where I am at, they market rolling pins out of olive wood outside of the standards. You should offer hard curly maple and flamed birch as an upgrade option- those can be sourced from Vermont, Maine, NY, Pennsylvania…..the north east.

Jonkou

Reaction score
First name
John
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Those look great John! Is there a standard dimension of length, diameter, and taper on these or are they all a bit different and unique? I assume they are a consistent diameter in the middle and then just taper on the ends? Or are they slightly tapered along the full length?

I might have to try making one for my Mom. She’s in her low 80’s and still loves to bake, but I’m running out of ideas on what to get her for gifts.
Thanks, several common lengths with different characteristics… googled “best French rolling pin” and the J.K Adams line stood out so used their FRP-1 specs. These are 20.5“ x 1.75“ with about a 9.5“ flat barrel, 5“+ tapers to 1.25“, this is their largest and has been Wife/Mom approved.
Here where I am at, they market rolling pins out of olive wood outside of the standards. You should offer hard curly maple and flamed birch as an upgrade option- those can be sourced from Vermont, Maine, NY, Pennsylvania…..the north east.
Agree

IMG_7095.jpeg

Last edited:

Jonkou

Reaction score
First name
John
Made one from maple today and refined the production process. They’re easy to make, lathe and these are all you need.

IMG_7100.jpeg IMG_7099.jpeg

2feathers Creative Making

Reaction score
First name
Frank
Nice! I haven't fired my metal lathe up yet, but will likely use it when I get a hankering for rolling pins. At least for the main barrel to keep everything parallel. I hear straight rolling pins make happier cooks, and I am not sure how steady my hands are.

Arn213

craM de la craM # RipJack City!
Reaction score
First name
Arn
I want one out of HI koa @Mike Hill……..watch the wrinkles roll into that pastry dough…….”Goo goo g' joob”.

Last edited:

turff49

Reaction score
Tim Yoder had a YouTube video on making these. In the video he gives the dimensions of the French rolling pin and where to mark the wood to get the tapers right. He used olive wood and just like these, his came out beautiful. Still trying to find where he got his billet of olive wood(he hasn’t replied). My wife for some reason prefers the American rolling pins over the French.
If you want to see his video just search YouTube.

Question for the OP: in the pic one end looks fatter than the other, is that just an optical illusion due to camera angles?

Jonkou

Reaction score
First name
John
Nice! I haven't fired my metal lathe up yet, but will likely use it when I get a hankering for rolling pins. At least for the main barrel to keep everything parallel. I hear straight rolling pins make happier cooks, and I am not sure how steady my hands are.
Thanks, the flat area is essential to get a consistent thickness of the dough being rolled. Use the backer board in #14 pic to ensure it is absolutely flat.

Question for the OP: in the pic one end looks fatter than the other, is that just an optical illusion due to camera angles?
It’s an illusion, they are the same. See dimensions in #12 above.

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
Screw an eye bolt into one end of two of these and connect them together with about 8 inches of chain and you have a set of nunchaku. Roll your dough and bash irritating customers at the same time.