from Jacques Vesery workshop

duncsuss

Trying to turn a little better each day
Full Member
Messages
4,607
Reaction score
6,667
Location
Wilmington, MA
First name
Duncan
Three of the exercise patterns I made at the workshop with Jacques Vesery over the weekend. From the left: spirals made using a branding tip in the woodburning tool then painted in layers; leaf designs drawn using a spearpoint burning tip, then carved using a rotary carving tool, burned again to create the veins,and painted in layers; and the basket weave illusion which is created by burning the lines, then rough carving the under/over with a rotary tool, smoothing with the burning tool, and finally layering paints. Lots of smoke, lots of fun, and lots of practice needed before I get it right.

eggs and basket weave.webp
 
Three of the exercise patterns I made at the workshop with Jacques Vesery over the weekend. From the left: spirals made using a branding tip in the woodburning tool then painted in layers; leaf designs drawn using a spearpoint burning tip, then carved using a rotary carving tool, burned again to create the veins,and painted in layers; and the basket weave illusion which is created by burning the lines, then rough carving the under/over with a rotary tool, smoothing with the burning tool, and finally layering paints. Lots of smoke, lots of fun, and lots of practice needed before I get it right.

View attachment 294135
So, should this burning be done outside or will a kitchen stove exhaust fan or bathroom exhaust fan be enough to vent a room?
 
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #3
So, should this burning be done outside or will a kitchen stove exhaust fan or bathroom exhaust fan be enough to vent a room?

That's a really good question, I'm not sure it has to be outside but I'm pretty certain there has to be a extractor much closer than across the room over a stove or in the ceiling. Jacques said he uses computer fans (extracting, not blowing onto his work), but didn't mention where they vent. I've got lots of them, and a couple of PC power supply units. I think I should be able to rig up some 4" dust collector flexible hose with a few fans on each end to run from where I'd work to a window. If I try really hard to vent the smoke I won't get into too much trouble if it does smell bad - so long as it doesn't trigger the smoke detectors :cool:
 
Cool stuff, thanks for sharing your work. There are so many ways to use burning and carving and so little time to experiment....

Really like that first egg, the limited amount of burning with the painting is an eye catching design.
 
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #5
Cool stuff, thanks for sharing your work. There are so many ways to use burning and carving and so little time to experiment....

Really like that first egg, the limited amount of burning with the painting is an eye catching design.

Thanks, Tim. One of my challenges is using too much paint in the brush - the method calls for multiple (7 to 10) almost imperceptible coats of each tint, I didn't off-load the brush consistently and it led to blobbiness in the color layers. Again ... practice.
 
Very nice pieces and carving. Reminds me of week long class at John Campbell with Dixie Biggs. I found a couple AC fans and 1’ x 2’ wooden boxes and fit a filter on it. Kinda bulky, but helps keep dust under control.
 
Three of the exercise patterns I made at the workshop with Jacques Vesery over the weekend. From the left: spirals made using a branding tip in the woodburning tool then painted in layers; leaf designs drawn using a spearpoint burning tip, then carved using a rotary carving tool, burned again to create the veins,and painted in layers; and the basket weave illusion which is created by burning the lines, then rough carving the under/over with a rotary tool, smoothing with the burning tool, and finally layering paints. Lots of smoke, lots of fun, and lots of practice needed before I get it right.

View attachment 294135
Congrats! Very creative work. Looking forward to seeing more creations in the future. Chuck
 
Thanks, Tim. One of my challenges is using too much paint in the brush - the method calls for multiple (7 to 10) almost imperceptible coats of each tint, I didn't off-load the brush consistently and it led to blobbiness in the color layers. Again ... practice.
I've done a little bit of dry brushing, and I agree, getting a feel for loading (unloading) the brush is the most difficult part. I haven't done enough of it to become proficient, just haven't practiced enough.
 
Back
Top