full casting set up wtb

APBcustoms

your every day wood addict
Reaction score
First name
austin
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Austin - Do some serious thinking before buying a 12" or bigger chamber. The cost of resin plays a big factor. I have a 12" round, and in order to get 4" of resin it tales at least two gallons. With resin coming in around the $100 per gallon range after shipping you might find yourself having to keep $400 to $500 worth of resin on-hand to do a bowl blank.
You have the option of going with smaller vessels within the chamber to reduce the amount of rising required which will help reduce overhead.
I would just hate to see you invest all that money in a chamber and not be able to use it like you envision. I'll be in the shop tomorrow, If you would like PM me and I can send you pics of what I mean. If you have Skype I can give you a live tour. Thats a big investment worth good planning.

View attachment 64648

i read this again and i think their was a bit of confusion im getting a 24 inch tall not wide

NYWoodturner

Wood Spinner
Reaction score
First name
Scott
Whew !!!! I thought you were headed for a large disappointment. what diameter are you getting? Still willing to Skype through any question you night have.

APBcustoms

Reaction score
First name
austin
Whew !!!! I thought you were headed for a large disappointment. what diameter are you getting? Still willing to Skype through any question you night have.

I guess whatever is standard with his chambers I really just need to be able to do 1.5 thick and once I get the equipment I'll definately want to skype so I don't break something

APBcustoms

Reaction score
First name
austin
So happy I chose the turntex chamber it's super nice and quite big guess I'll be buying a few gallons of juice soon. Well that is if Curtis doesn't want to trade for wood? Also he threw in this wicked blank I've been wanting.

image.jpg

image.jpg

@TurnTex

Last edited:

TurnTex

Reaction score
First name
Curtis
Hey, you said it was a Christmas present to you. You better box that thing back up and get it under the tree before it gets taken away! :) Glad you liked the blank!

APBcustoms

Reaction score
First name
austin
Hey, you said it was a Christmas present to you. You better box that thing back up and get it under the tree before it gets taken away! :) Glad you liked the blank!

Eh I had to make sure it wasn't cracked :rofl: and take pictures and complement myself for not being cheap.

TurnTex

Reaction score
First name
Curtis
You done good grasshopper! :)

Thanks for choosing my system, by the way! I am here for ANY questions and advice you need along the way!

APBcustoms

Reaction score
First name
austin
You done good grasshopper! :)

Thanks for choosing my system, by the way! I am here for ANY questions and advice you need along the way!

I'm sure I'll have many questions once I get juice. A question I have now though is if you are willing to trade for some juice?

TurnTex

Reaction score
First name
Curtis
Austin,

I would be happy to trade wood for Juice IF I had any need for wood! Unfortunately, I don't. My interest has always and only been in local Central Texas wood that I collect myself.

APBcustoms

Reaction score
First name
austin
Austin,

I would be happy to trade wood for Juice IF I had any need for wood! Unfortunately, I don't. My interest has always and only been in local Central Texas wood that I collect myself.

I figured it was worth a shot haha. I guess I'll just have to spend my christmas money. Also is their a discount if I buy two gallons?

TurnTex

Reaction score
First name
Curtis
Yes, there is better pricing on 2 gallons and shipping is more economical as well. You can find it all on my site.

APBcustoms

Reaction score
First name
austin
I got some cactus juice now I need to buy vacuum pump oil do I have to use jb since my pump is jb?

APBcustoms

Reaction score
First name
austin
Oh and how long does juice last after I add the catalyst

APBcustoms

Reaction score
First name
austin
And do I refridgerate it? I was told that by someone at the show

TurnTex

Reaction score
First name
Curtis
Austin,

You do not have to use JB pump oil but I do recommend you use vacuum pump oil. Some folks try using other oils and while they may work, it is not worth taking a chance on a good pump. One the activator is mixed into the Juice, it has a guaranteed shelf life from me of 1 year if kept cool. You do not have to refrigerate but doing so will help keep it good longer. Knowing you based on your posts here, I doubt you will have any of the gallon left in a month, let alone a year! :)

APBcustoms

Reaction score
First name
austin
Austin,

You do not have to use JB pump oil but I do recommend you use vacuum pump oil. Some folks try using other oils and while they may work, it is not worth taking a chance on a good pump. One the activator is mixed into the Juice, it has a guaranteed shelf life from me of 1 year if kept cool. You do not have to refrigerate but doing so will help keep it good longer. Knowing you based on your posts here, I doubt you will have any of the gallon left in a month, let alone a year! :)

I have been collecting flame box elder for stabilizing since day one on here. I'll be out in a week or two haha

JR Custom Calls

Gobble Gobble
Reaction score
First name
Jonathan
Doesn't take long when you're stabilizing buckeye burl, soft maple burl, flame box elder burl, etc. That stuff sucks up the resin.