Giant Ambrosia Maple

gvwp

Reaction score
First name
David
Milled this log today. 42" diameter at the widest. Heavy and long log. A bear to saw. Had to stop several times and trim with the chainsaw. I don't normally saw logs this large but the BEST wood comes from these big suckers. A fair amount of ambrosia figure inside. I've put this log off all summer so its stained a bit inside but still lots of nice wood. Large thick bowl blanks and vessels were made from this log. Here are a few pics.

014.JPG
015.JPG
016.JPG
017.JPG
018.JPG
019.JPG
020.JPG

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
David, very cool:cool:Thanks for sharing, I never tire of looking at milling pics. Especially giant ambrosia maple logs!

sprucegum

Reaction score
First name
Dave
Looks like a lot of work and some beautiful wood. At least you are somewhat automated my little manual mill will do 36" if they are perfectly strait but what a job to turn them alone. I usually put a roll hitch around the middle and lift strait up with the tractor bucket.

gvwp

Reaction score
First name
David
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Looks like a lot of work and some beautiful wood. At least you are somewhat automated my little manual mill will do 36" if they are perfectly strait but what a job to turn them alone. I usually put a roll hitch around the middle and lift strait up with the tractor bucket.

The large logs are a pain. I don't like to run really large logs. Hard on everything and even with hydraulics they are still very hard to turn. I don't do them unless I think there will be a very nice reward. In this case I was quite sure the big log would yield nice material and I was not disappointed.

Ralph Muhs

Reaction score
First name
Ralph
My home made mill would saw it if I could get it on the mill Turning it? Yes I also use an old cant hook with no handle with a chain tied to it then I wrap it around the log and lift it up with the bucket on my tractor. Spins the log. I envy people with nice mills! But mine is ok for who it is for