Hello from Murray County, Georgia

Andrew M

Reaction score
First name
Andrew
My name is Andrew and I am just getting started in wonderul world of wood working. I am a junior in college on the path of becoming an electrican.

I recently turned my first pen on a friends lathe and instantly became addicted. I am now in the process of purchasing my own lathe and getting started. I have came to Wood Barter to gain as much knowledge as possible from the seasonal pros. Any hints or tips about getting started would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Andrew

NYWoodturner

Wood Spinner
Reaction score
First name
Scott
Welcome Andrew. Plenty of turners, pen turners, wood and knowledge here and a lot of great folks to pass 'em around. Congratulations on your first lathe and you new found addiction as well. Glad you found us!
Scott

Kevin

Wood is good.
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Glad you found us Andrew. You sound like a young man with his head screwed on right with his priorities all straight. Don't be bashful about asking questions or sharing experiences. The more you share with us about your process of getting started, the more likely you are to go out the door to class one morning and trip over a free box of "starter blanks".

:innocent:

:welcome2:

Andrew M

Reaction score
First name
Andrew
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well I guess my first question would have to be which lathes do you suggest and which ones should I steer away from. Take in to consideration that my budget is very limited due to college.

Thanks, Andrew

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
WELCOME! From Michigan. :welcome2:
As far as which lathe? We just had a pretty good discussion about that very thing. Also look for a good used lathe to start with and learn on the cheap side of things, you can always resell it and upgrade when you have the funds. I have been thinking that I am way past due for an upgrade. Remember it's not the lathe that makes a wood turner, it's the turner himself!

Andrew M

Reaction score
First name
Andrew
Thanks for you input Greg I will be sure to check that thread out. I am mainly in the market for a used one. I have wore craigslist out the past week but, nothing has quite caught my eye yet.

Kevin

Wood is good.
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Andrew M said:
Thanks for you input Greg I will be sure to check that thread out. I am mainly in the market for a used one. I have wore craigslist out the past week but, nothing has quite caught my eye yet.

Andrew, how much do you have to spend? If you don't want to say that here don't worry not many of us like to discuss actual dollars. You need one more post to be able to use the PM system, so after you say 'okay' or something let me know via PM or email what you can handle. I might be able to help you out.

Patrude

Reaction score
First name
Rich
Andrew M said:
My name is Andrew and I am just getting started in wonderul world of wood working. I am a junior in college on the path of becoming an electrican.

I recently turned my first pen on a friends lathe and instantly became addicted. I am now in the process of purchasing my own lathe and getting started. I have came to Wood Barter to gain as much knowledge as possible from the seasonal pros. Any hints or tips about getting started would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Andrew

:welcome2:Andrew from South Eastern Massachusetts. You'll like it here, good folks, good conversation and lots of good wood to be found here. Doesn't matter if you are experienced or not, we all learn from one and other here. When starting out its always best to go with basic projects. Pen turning offers a lot of variety and challenges. You don't need a ton of tools to start. One good source for tools and equipment is PennState Industries. Believe it or not, you may be lucky enough to pick up stuff at yard sales and Craigs List if youre patient. Good luck with it and make sure you never let go that first pen. :hi2:

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
Andrew M said:
Craigslist is one of those things that you have to check often, then be ready to respond quickly when you see something that interest you. Most times I am too late, but sometimes I get lucky. Be patient and take your time looking. Also widen your search to more rural areas as well. Good luck! :biggrin:

Andrew M

Reaction score
First name
Andrew
woodtickgreg said:
Andrew M said:
Craigslist is one of those things that you have to check often, then be ready to respond quickly when you see something that interest you. Most times I am too late, but sometimes I get lucky. Be patient and take your time looking. Also widen your search to more rural areas as well. Good luck! :biggrin:

Well believe it or not Ive already experienced the whole to late deal. Was in contact with the guy just couldn't get an open spot in my schedule to go get it.