Hybrid wood / Resin peppermill

Reiddog1

Reaction score
First name
Dave
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Dave, is that white part I see in between the burl cap pieces a reflection of the paint can, or is the resin translucent and I am seeing the white of the paint can through the resin? I actually wanted to ask earlier if you'd be able to see the pepper and the void, but this worked out even better!!

Thanks, Butch
Dave, is that white part I see in between the burl cap pieces a reflection of the paint can, or is the resin translucent and I am seeing the white of the paint can through the resin? I actually wanted to ask earlier if you'd be able to see the pepper and the void, but this worked out even better!!

Thanks, Butch

That must be a reflection Butch. This thing has a lot of dye and pearl ex in it. You can make translucent by usinga lot less of both.

Dave

Reiddog1

Reaction score
First name
Dave
Hello again folks. Finally got some time to work on the peppermill, so I thought I'd show you were I was at with it. Hope you guys enjoy and thanks for following along.
20140505_132142.jpg
Cutting off the corners, so my tools don't beat me to death.
20140505_132201.jpg
A little drilling out for the components

Last edited:

Reiddog1

Reaction score
First name
Dave
20140505_155426.jpg
Sanding, sanding, and more sanding!! She's getting there slowly but surely. Hopefully I'll get the body all sanded out and the top finished tomorrow. Maybe soon we'll have ourselves a peppermill. Thanks for lookin.

Dave

Reiddog1

Reaction score
First name
Dave
Ok. One more from today. Still have to fill some small pin holes (pretty common with resin) and another round of sanding and polishing, but here's a preview. Hope you guys like it!!!
20140505_185514.jpg

Reiddog1

Reaction score
First name
Dave
Alumilite is my favorite resin to turn. Same tips as turning wood really: sharp tools, go slow. Turns like a dream.

Reiddog1

Reaction score
First name
Dave
I sand to 600, then buff with tripoli and then white diamond. You could also sand with a series of micro mesh and then use plastic polish.

gimpy

Reaction score
First name
terry
Ok. One more from today. Still have to fill some small pin holes (pretty common with resin) and another round of sanding and polishing, but here's a preview. Hope you guys like it!!!
View attachment 50350
I can't say what I would like to say................BUT holy cow, what a SWEET peppermill, and tutoiriol, thank you for sharing