Ironwood Bangle

BangleGuy

Reaction score
First name
Eric
I am making a bangle from a large chunk of Ironwood and I thought I would share photos of my progress. I will add more pics as I go. Enjoy, BG

[attachment=4607][attachment=4608][attachment=4609][attachment=4610]

tn_DSC00710.JPG

tn_DSC00711.JPG

tn_DSC00712.JPG

tn_DSC00717.JPG

Kenbo

Self proclaimed expert of nothing
Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Ken
Looking good so far. I'll be watching for the rest of the prgress. Thanks for posting the pictures.
:i_am_so_happy:

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Thanks for the pictures-wood is looking very nice-How hard is it to machine????

DKMD

Sawbones
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
David
That's gonna be beautiful! I'll be watching this thread with special interest!:yipee::yipee:

rockb

rockbswesternwoods.com
Reaction score
First name
Rocky
Missus Rebuild said:
Beautiful wood! It is really interesting to see someone's project from start to finish, and see all the details as it progresses...Thanks for posting this! (and you know I'm just :hang1: for one of your bangles for myself) Can't wait to see the rest of the process.
Great pics Eric....thanks.....I was wondering how you cut those blanks. I love ironwood, 'specially the yellow stuff. When finished you can "see" right into the center.

BangleGuy

Reaction score
First name
Eric
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Mike1950 said:
Thanks for the pictures-wood is looking very nice-How hard is it to machine????

Ironwood is interesting to work with. It is very hard, but cuts fine with sharp tooling. (The dust stinks, worse than oak.) I ran two bangle blanks through stabilization today, but they did not gain weight (meaning it probably doesn't need to be stabilized). I glued the metal core on tonight and hope to have one done tomorrow. I will show you all a picture soon.

Oh, I forgot to add the reason for the electrical tape in the third picture! When I was parting off one of my bangles, it came apart and just about hit me in the head! These cracked woods need to be held together when spinning, or else!

BG

BangleGuy

Reaction score
First name
Eric
Here is the bangle after boring the ID, sizing to length and gluing to the stainless core. It will be done tomorrow night!

[attachment=4698]

tn_DSC00722.JPG

davidgiul

Reaction score
First name
David
BangleGuy said:
Here is the bangle after boring the ID, sizing to length and gluing to the stainless core. It will be done tomorrow night!

If you don't mind me asking, where did you get the core drills? I noticed that they are Lennox brand.
Dave

DKMD

Sawbones
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
David
Pretty, pretty stuff!

BangleGuy

Reaction score
First name
Eric
davidgiul said:
BangleGuy said:

If you don't mind me asking, where did you get the core drills? I noticed that they are Lennox brand.
Dave

David, No problem. We have a Lowes Home Improvement store nearby so that is where I get the lennox brand holes saw. You can also order them on Amazon.com. I bought my Bosch carbide hole saws online at Lowes and had them delivered to the store for pick up. The carbide hole saws are awesome (but expensive)!

DKMD

Sawbones
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
David
That turned out fantastic! I just love ironwood. BTW, the wife enthusiastically approves of this one!:clapping::clapping:

Kevin

Wood is good.
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Excellent thread Eric. Thanks for showing us how this is done - very generous.

:good:

BangleGuy

Reaction score
First name
Eric
Thanks for following along! I think it turned out well and I'm excited to have a new wood for bangles - GO Ironwood! :yipee:

Just FYI, I have a 14 page tutorial that I will be posting on a thread sometime soon. I haven't quite decided how I want to make it available, but most likely it will be through my website as a download. Also, I should have more stainless steel and copper bangle cores by the end of this week. Let me know if you have any questions or want to give it try.

PS, Women love these wood/metal bangles, and jewelry is probably THE top seller at any art and craft show. Take your turning skills and make some money at the local festivals this summer! It's great fun.

Happy Turning!:drinks:

BG

419Tomb

Reaction score
First name
Tom
I have to say that Erics tutorial is very well done and easy to follow!:good:
I have one of his kits and evrything about it is quality stuff. Thanks again Eric, i will be back for sure. I will try one of the copper cores the next time.:good2:
Tom