Just an amateur Wood Turner

Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Location
Arizona
First name
Michael
Good morning thank you for letting me join this group. I am traveling to Austin, Texas and wondering if anybody has contact for picking up some wood rounds for lathe work. Looking for some Texas Ebony.
 
Welcome from Bulverde, TEXAS! I’m not too far from Austin, but I don’t have any Texas Ebony, unfortunately. I would like to see pics of some of your turnings. Chuck
 
Welcome from Austria. Why in the world would you willingly go to Texas?

Read our rules, ignore the Texans (noticing a theme yet?) and reply four times to be able to post anywhere.
 
Welcome from North Texas!

Texas Ebony is highly prized and not easily found. I've seen spindle blanks at WoodCraft in Dallas several times but nothing larger than 1.5"x1.5"x12".

This piece followed me home from SWAT this summer. It's the largest piece of Texas Ebony I've seen. In the picture also is a piece of Desert Ironwood Burl. It's the only picture of the Texas Ebony on my phone.

@JR Parks

20260831_171232.webp
 
Last edited:
Welcome from North Texas!

Texas Ebony is highly prized and not easily found. I've seen spindle blanks at WoodCraft in Dallas several times but nothing larger than 1.5"x1.5"x12".

This piece followed me home from SWAT this summer. It's the largest piece of Texas Ebony I've seen. In the picture also is a piece of Desert Ironwood Burl. It's the only picture of the Texas Ebony on my phone.

@JR Parks

View attachment 294130
I'm not a wood expert, but that large board does not look anything like the Texas Ebony I have. The Ironwood is a pretty nice piece of wood. Now, what are your plans for the DI? ............... Nubs
 
Last edited:
Welcome Michel, Im in Buckeye AZ, I have came across Texas Ebony a few times here around Phoenix, mostly planted as yard trees, even have a small tree in my front yard. But unless you get it processed pretty quickly after cutting it down, it cracks like crazy, worse that Desert Ironwood IMO... good luck on your search... @JR Parks , a member here, might have a line on some, I think he lives near Austin...
 
I'm bot a wood expert, but that large board does not look anything like the Texas Ebony I have. The Ironwood is a pretty nice piece of wood. Now, what are your plans for the DI? ............... Nubs
I'm no wood expert either, but both of those pictured pieces came from the same source and he is respected for his knowledge of woods. Several others were around as well, no one disputed the name written on the piece.

The piece is quite heavy for its size and appears to me to be very similar to what I have seen at Woodcraft labeled as TE. It also appears darker in person than in that picture.

As with most woods, many factors probably change how it can look.

As to the DIW burl, it would make a fabulous set of scales for a large knife.
 
Last edited:
Welcome from North Texas!

Texas Ebony is highly prized and not easily found. I've seen spindle blanks at WoodCraft in Dallas several times but nothing larger than 1.5"x1.5"x12".

This piece followed me home from SWAT this summer. It's the largest piece of Texas Ebony I've seen. In the picture also is a piece of Desert Ironwood Burl. It's the only picture of the Texas Ebony on my phone.

@JR Parks

View attachment 294130
Maybe it would help if you listed diamentions of the 2 pieces as well.
 
Maybe it would help if you listed diamentions of the 2 pieces as well.
That would be a simple task as would a better picture if I was at home to do so. I'm in Iowa this week.

The picture was on my phone so I shared it as a gesture of what may be possible to find, it wasn't meant to start an internet debate on its authenticity. I'm confident that it is, in fact, what it is labeled as.
 
Last edited:
I have a bunch of TE. When @Crocy in Aus. was here, we split one piece so he could get a piece for whatever he would do with it when he got back to Australia. It was pretty black with white sapwood if I'm remembering correctly. He only took the black with streaks.
Today I milled a couple pieces that were branches. The sapwood was kind of yellow, and the black black wasn't there. Tomorrow I'll check to see what happens when I put some lacquer on it. It'll be in another thread rather than hijack this one. .............. Nubs
 
Back
Top