Kimber Micro Grips?

Sprung

Amateur Sawdust Maker
Reaction score
First name
Matt
My wife is looking at a Kimber Micro 380. If that's what she settles on, she has said that she may want different grips for it. Just curious at this point while she makes a decision - anyone make grips for the Kimber Micro 380?

tocws2002

Reaction score
First name
-jason
I made some grips for a Kimber 380, but don't remember now if it was the micro or not. Below are pics of the grips I made, one set is ziricote, the other is padauk. Even ordered and installed Colt medallions.

-jason

20151225_203238.jpg

20151225_203210.jpg

1414.jpeg

20151225_203132.jpg

Last edited:

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
those look like micro- I would have to dig out Kathie's to check. If you want I will. She has a micro 9 with lazer. she had not shot any gun since 70's. Her pattern with laser and my pattern without was better first time we shot it. I will not shoot it very often. it is way too small for my hand. fits her perfectly. Recoil is minimal. She bought me something a little larger for my birthday...

Sprung

Amateur Sawdust Maker
Reaction score
First name
Matt
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
@tocws2002 - those look nice and are probably the right size. I believe that Kimber only offers 380 in the Micro.

@Mike1950 - My wife felt that the Micro 9 was too big for her hands. And, her having shot my 9mm pistols, feels that the recoil is too much for her. So 380 it is for her. The Micro in 380 is a tiny little thing! With my big mitts, I'll probably not shoot hers often either. What'd Kathie buy you?

@TimR - Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know. As a woodworker I should probably try to make them, if she wants new grips, lol. But I've also got about a million other projects to work on already - many of them for her. I think she wants me to start getting projects done, not just adding more to the list! Those are nice grips - and having not cracked is a miracle!

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
@tocws2002 - those look nice and are probably the right size. I believe that Kimber only offers 380 in the Micro.

@Mike1950 - My wife felt that the Micro 9 was too big for her hands. And, her having shot my 9mm pistols, feels that the recoil is too much for her. So 380 it is for her. The Micro in 380 is a tiny little thing! With my big mitts, I'll probably not shoot hers often either. What'd Kathie buy you?

@TimR - Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know. As a woodworker I should probably try to make them, if she wants new grips, lol. But I've also got about a million other projects to work on already - many of them for her. I think she wants me to start getting projects done, not just adding more to the list! Those are nice grips - and having not cracked is a miracle!

Kathie is 5' puny but very strong hands. Me I needed something bigger. KHX custom 9mm. With optics. Have not even shot it yet. It sorta looks like this.

20211030_202323.jpg

Last edited:

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Matt is right- micro is only available in 380. Getting any of the special Kimbers right now is not easy. They have a backlog of orders. Cabelas went above and beyond to find mine at another Cabelas. at a much cheaper price than listed.

Sprung

Amateur Sawdust Maker
Reaction score
First name
Matt
Have not even shot it yet.

What're you waiting for? Get out and shoot it! (You can nail me on that one too though, lol. A couple months ago I picked up a Savage Rascal for taking the boys out with. We haven't been out with it yet...)

I've been seeing some Kimbers finally around here - Cabelas, Fleet Farm, and my local gun store have all had some various models. The Micro Bel Air is what first caught my wife's eye. Then, after getting to check one out in Fleet Farm, she felt the grips were too smooth and the polished slide was too polished for her. So she's looking at a different model.

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
What're you waiting for? Get out and shoot it! (You can nail me on that one too though, lol. A couple months ago I picked up a Savage Rascal for taking the boys out with. We haven't been out with it yet...)

I've been seeing some Kimbers finally around here - Cabelas, Fleet Farm, and my local gun store have all had some various models. The Micro Bel Air is what first caught my wife's eye. Then, after getting to check one out in Fleet Farm, she felt the grips were too smooth and the polished slide was too polished for her. So she's looking at a different model.
Kathie's grips are serrated. easy for her to hold on to.
I know- we just have not had time to go out and shoot. I have to take her to where it is just 1 on 1. A newbe on gun safe handling. But sure is doing great. Good luck with your quest.

Customgripper

Reaction score
First name
Curt

tocws2002

Reaction score
First name
-jason
Those appear to be grips for the Colt Mustang .380
I've made several sets of those using various woods and other materials.
Yes, that's what it was. Been a few years since i made them for a coworker and couldn't remember the model. Thanks!

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc

tocws2002

Reaction score
First name
-jason
If I recall correctly they were just flat, like 1911 grips, with no additional recesses or anything.

-jason

Customgripper

Reaction score
First name
Curt

Sprung

Amateur Sawdust Maker
Reaction score
First name
Matt
@Sprung did you ever get wife a pistol.

No. She still can't make up her mind as to what she wants. (Not that she's looked real hard.) She also wants to do a little more shooting before she gets one, and we haven't had any time where we could get out and go shooting for a while. She hasn't done much shooting, so is pretty inexperienced and wants to get some more experience first - I argue that it would be great for her to get experience and practice on her own gun, though it is good that she learns how to use everything else I've got as well.

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
No. She still can't make up her mind as to what she wants. (Not that she's looked real hard.) She also wants to do a little more shooting before she gets one, and we haven't had any time where we could get out and go shooting for a while. She hasn't done much shooting, so is pretty inexperienced and wants to get some more experience first - I argue that it would be great for her to get experience and practice on her own gun, though it is good that she learns how to use everything else I've got as well.
Kathie has settled on her favorite -Ruger mark IV 22. It is light-no recoil and very accurate. Fun and cheap to shoot. I think the best way to get to be a good shot is shoot a lot.